Chapter Eight

Laurel walks into the kitchen setting the mail down on the counter as Jeremiah was finishing making his hangover smoothie for Conrad. Steven kept hovering around pestering Jeremiah. Belly took a sit beside her mom near the kitchen island.

Susannah comes rushing in with excitement in her voice, "Belly is gonna be a debutante!"

"It's not that big of a deal," Belly said as Susannah gave her a big hug.

"Belly? My sister? Like that thing right there?" Steven teased.

Belly got frustrated and said, "shut up, cretin."

Susannah walked around the counter seeing the stack of mail and began looking through it as she said, "okay this is going to be so much fun! We need to go shopping!"

Laurel scrunched up her nose adding, "this sounds expensive."

"Don't worry, Laur. It's on me!" Susannah said tossing some of the mail to the side as she kept rummaging through for anything important.

Laurel looked over at Belly sitting down eating her cereal, "Belly, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem very you."

"It's not," Conrad mumbled from the couch.

Susannah sighed, "Conrad, could you please be a little more supportive? Now, which one of you is gonna be Belly's escort to the ball?"

Belly rolled her eyes getting up from seat heading up stairs to her room not wanting to hear the excuses the boys came up with.

"Not me. I went last year," Conrad muttered.

Jeremiah turned around from cooking breakfast, "yeah and I swore off balls." After the disappointment from not being able to dance with Angelina at her quince and her not returning last summer to do the debutante ball, Jeremiah made it know to every female at Cousins beach, he wouldn't be an escort. He was saving that dance for her.

Steven started chuckling catching Jeremiah's attention as he grinned saying, "the dances, dude."

Susannah gasped and the boys and Laurel all turned to stare at her. Conrad quickly got up from the couch walking into the kitchen towards his mom, "are you okay, mom?"

She held up the small rectangle envelope. "It's Angelina's debutante invitation that I gave her."

Jeremiah quickly turned off the fire to the stove and stood across from his mom behind the counter wondering what it said. If she did say yes, would she still ask him to be her escort like he was originally supposed to be or would she ask Conrad?

Conrad rolled his eyes wishing his mom never involved Angelina in any of this.

Laurel spoke first breaking the tension, "Beck, I don't think you should have given her that. The poor girl. It's probably a painful reminder of the last two years."

Susannah sighed, "and I think that's the perfect reason why, to help repair that pain. Her quinceanera got cancelled, not once but twice because of that women. And she missed the debutante last year."

"Well, what does it say?" Jeremiah questioned, desperately wanting to know.

Susannah open up the envelope taking out the card and small handwritten note. As she read it her eyes began to water and said, "she said yes, with a note as well."

Conrad tried leaning over to see what the note said that had his mom in near tears.

Jeremiah was also curious and said with worry, "what did the note say mom?"

Susannah smiled knowing how much her two boys cared for the girl read, "my dearest Susannah. I'm accepting this invitation solely on these three reasons. Reason one, you. You're are what a mother should be. You have the kindest heart. You radiate brighter than any star out there. Reason two, my dad. He never got to see me dance at an event like this. He was supposed to see me at my quince, my party, but it never happened. And I don't know if he'll ever get the chance to see me dance another time." Conrad winced at that statement, knowing what she meant by that. He wouldn't be alive to see her dance at her wedding in the future. "And finally reason three, my mother. I'm not letting her define my life. This is about me, not her. And it's about time I take back what belongs to me."