Chapter Thirty-Nine

Her eyes were open but all Angelina could see were blur motions. Voices were coming in and out of her ears but all she heard was a loud pitching noise blocking any words of comfort. Hours had past but all she could do was sit there in silence as if time didn't exist for her anymore. The room was brightly lite but all she felt around her was complete darkness.

Angelina thought she had more time.

She saw the signs everyday. The signs her dad's health was getting worse and she did absolutely nothing. She was silently watching it all happen instead of confronting him about it and now it was too late.

Angelina sat in the chair in the hallway across from the room where her dad was assigned before being taken to emergency where he died. She had now watched the room be filled by another patient. Her hands were gripping the edges of her seat. Bags of unopened fast food sat in the chair beside her. Miles Baker stood next to her leaning against the wall with his arms crossed against his chest and eyes closed. Miles was on a his last call of the night at the hospital when he saw a crying Angelina begging at the front desk for her dad and since then, he hasn't left her side.

More than thirteen hours have passed and Angelina still refuses to sleep or eat anything. Miles has gone to several fast food restaurants throughout the night and early morning picking up food for her but she refuses to eat any. Every time Miles has offered her food or water, Angelina simply just shakes her head not speaking a word.

For thirteen hours since her father was admitted in the hospital and passed, Angelina has not spoken. The doctor and nurses have come by and spoken to her but she refused to make any sign of acknowledgment, so Julian Tello took over. Julian has been the one handling everything regarding her dad's death. Her dad left him in charge of his will and estate when the time came. Therefore, there was nothing for her to say. Her dad had taken care of it all. Because he knew, he knew his time was short. Everything she should have said to her dad prior to his death, she didn't and now, she felt like there was no point in speaking.

She felt a hand placed on her shoulder giving it a small squeeze but she didn't look up or acknowledge once again. No. Angelina kept her gaze on the number eight on the door where she last saw her dad. "Come on, Flores. You have to eat something," Miles said softly. "Or at least get some sleep. I could also go get you some clothes to change into, maybe something more comfortable? Or was Cristian going to do that?"

Angelina stayed silent, her eyes still on the number eight. She was still in her debutante dress with Miles sheriff's jacket over her shoulders he placed on her earlier when he saw her shiver. She wanted to answer him, to say anything, but her throat felt tight and dry. All she wanted to do was scream but she was afraid nothing would come out if she tried.

Angelina tried clearing her throat, roughness building as she tried to swallow to speak, "Mil-".  And then she saw him, standing there beside the door she last saw her dad. In a blur instant, both the Fisher brothers were now standing in front of her hovering as Susannah stood behind them. Miles leans up from against the wall and stood slightly in front of Angelina in between her and the Fisher brothers.

Eyes wide, Angelina stared at everyone surrounding her. Feeling of overwhelmed begin building within her. The stares, she felt everyone's eyes on her like she was some helpless creature. Then there was Jeremiah, standing directly in front of her. She couldn't bring herself to look at him. The guilt of thinking about anyone but her dad right now made Angelina feel sick. The Flores girl slowly wrapped her arms around her stomach feeling it start to knot.

"Look, she's kind of in shock and not speaking. Best not to overcrowd her," Miles stated calmly.

Jeremiah kept staring down at Angelina ignoring Miles. She was eyeing everyone but him and he felt his heart nearly shatter. Jeremiah knows they made eye contact when he stepped into the hallway, so he knew she saw him. He kneeled down in front of her trying to get her to look at him. "Angel, hey. I'm here," Jeremiah said in a low whisper slowly reaching his hand out to touch her cheek.