Chapter Fourteen

The 4th of July party at the Fishers beach house was well on its way. Everyone was gathered in the backyard by the pool. Jeremiah sat pool side talking to Victoria as Conrad was in the pool with Nicole swimming around. Gigi was talking to Susannah besides the grill. And, on the other side, John, Laurel, Shayla, Steven and Belly were all having a conversation.

"The pretty ones are here!" Angelina shouted walking through the back gate with Cristian beside her. Her dad and Cristian's dad walking behind the two teens. "And when I say pretty ones, I meant me and Cristian, not the dads," Angelina said laughing as Cristian slung his arm around her shoulder shaking his head.

Susannah and Laurel smiled at the girl walking over to greet Ramiro Flores and Julian Tello. Gigi rolled her eyes calling over Shayla to show her something on her phone.

As Conrad swam towards the edge getting ready to get out of the pool to see Angelina, Jeremiah ran past him swooping Angelina in his arms spinning the two of them around. "My Angel flower! You're finally here," Jeremiah said excitedly.

Angelina let out a laugh feeling her head spinning from the twirl. She was not expecting Jeremiah to spin her around. "Okay, Jeremiah. Please stop spinning me or else we are all going to see something that'll make us lose our appetites." Angelina felt her stomach start to knot from the spin.

Jeremiah grinned setting her back down on the floor placing his hands on her waist to steady her. He's eyes flickered down, gazing her body. She was wearing high waisted blue jean shorts with an olive green bikini top. But it wasn't her exposed skin and thick thighs that caught his attention, no, it was the short sleeve oversized olive green unbutton flannel she was wearing over it. He recognized it, it was his flannel.

Jeremiah was wearing that olive green button up two summers ago, the night before their time together was almost up. Their summer vacation coming to an end. The two of them snuck out and went to the boardwalk, like they had done that whole summer.

The summer of 15 years

15 year old Angelina walked beside a 14 year old Jeremiah. Both of them barefoot, crossing the boardwalk to get to the beach. Angelina was in shorts and a small black crop top. Jeremiah was wearing a short sleeve olive green button up and black basketball shorts.

Jeremiah was nervous. It was one in the morning and Angelina had called him if he can sneak out and meet her. Even though they did this almost every night, being beside her always made him feel something he wasn't familiar with. Her presence would always bring warmth and nerves, not sure why he would feel those two together.

As they walked besides each other Jeremiah turned slightly to look at her. Under the street lights, he could see her cheeks had a tint of red and her eyes were a bit puffy. She had been crying, his heart nearly sank coming up with that realization. The last time Jeremiah heard her cry was two weeks before coming to the beach house at the beginning of summer because her quince got cancelled. It was hard for him to hear her cry over the phone, he couldn't imagine hearing it in person.

Jeremiah awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand while his right hand was nervously tapping the side of his leg. He wanted to comfort her.

Slowly reaching over with his right hand, he intertwined his fingers with hers. He felt Angelina give his hand a small squeeze as their hands locked. Jeremiah let out a breath knowing it was okay. Angelina was usually the one that took initiative on holding hands, it's like she could always sense when he wanted too.

The boardwalk came to an end as they came across the beach sand heading towards the water. The breeze had picked up and Jeremiah looked over seeing Angelina in only a black crop top. He quickly removed his olive green button up leaving him in a while muscle tank. Jeremiah placed it around Angelina's shoulders as she looked up at him causing his cheeks to heat up. "The weather- it's getting a bit cold," Jeremiah slightly stuttered.