Chapter Twenty-Two

Jeremiah shut the back sliding door quietly as he walked into the kitchen. "Jere? Are you just getting in?" He heard his moms voice.

Jeremiah froze. It was early. He didn't expect anyone to be awake. As he turned to face his mom, he also found Laurel and Conrad in the kitchen all three staring at him. Susannah and Laurel with confused looks while Conrad held a bored expression.

"Um, no, I was just having breakfast at the Flores," Jeremiah said quietly as he walked over taking a seat beside Conrad at the counter. He heard Conrad let out a small scoff. Jeremiah resisted an eye roll so his mom didn't see.

Susannah and Laurel were across the counter from them cooking breakfast. "With Ramiro and Angelina?" Susannah asked surprised.

"Um, yeah," Jeremiah answered.

Laurel looked over at Susannah then back at Jeremiah, "just make sure you're not causing Ramiro any trouble, okay? Maybe don't go over so early next time, waking him up."

Conrad eye both the moms suspiciously wondering if they knew about Ramiro's condition with how they were acting right now. "Why shouldn't he?" Conrad asked trying to figure out if they knew.

Jeremiah looked over at Conrad surprised thinking he was defending him. But in reality, Conrad was doing it for himself and Angelina. He wanted to know if all the adults were in on the secrets they were hiding from the kids. "Just because, it's not polite, sweetie," Susannah said. "I'm surprised you weren't there too, Connie?"

Conrad let out another small scoff. He was planning on going over after helping Cleveland to speak to Angelina, to apologize to her. "I have to go. Gotta help Cleveland," Conrad said as he got up and walked out back.

Susannah looked over at Laurel, "I'm going to go talk to him."

Susannah ran out the back doors trying to catch Conrad before he left. "You have a second?" She yelled at Conrad.

Conrad turned around surprised to see his mom chasing after him, "Cleveland just called, I got to go."

"It'll just take a sec, I want you to ask Belly to be her escort to the deb ball," Susannah said with hopeful eyes. Conrad hated when his mom did that. It made it hard for him to say no.

"Mom I can't," Conrad said awkwardly. He didn't understand what his feelings towards Belly were and then there was Angelina, his best friend, who was also in the debutante ball. He knows she hasn't asked anyone to be her escort yet either. Conrad kept wondering if she was still going to ask Jeremiah, like he was originally supposed take her last year.

Susannah raised an eyebrow at her son, "why not?"

Conrad thought of the perfect answer. "Just tell Jeremiah to ask her." Conrad knew if their mom asked him, Jeremiah couldn't say no to her and would ask Belly then Jeremiah couldn't escort Angelina.

She let out a small sigh, "Connie, you know how much it'll mean to her if it's you. You're her Prince Charming and we all know it."

Conrad tried his hardest not to scoff, "no I'm not." She was just with Cameron, he thought.

Susannah crossed her arms against her chest trying to resist a grin, "or is it possible you want to escort someone else to the ball?"

Conrad's eyes grew wide as his cheeks heated up slightly. He let out a small cough trying to find the right words, "I don't know what you're talking about."

Susannah smile grew a little bigger. Both of her boys can't see the effect that this girl has on them. She just wanted her son back and if Angelina could do that for her, she'll forever be grateful. Susannah knew he just need a little push. "I just want it to go perfectly for her. Please? For me?"