𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 2

♪ And you know I wear mine out on my sleeve
But what else can you expect me to do? ♪

Carlos Sainz Jr POV

I just got to Spain after 5 years in America, I celebrated my birthday yesterday and my family came to see all the departments too. When we got to my office I saw how they looked at me.

"What?" I ask not really amused by their stares.

"How does it feel to be back?" My mom asks and I shrug.

"It's work, I'm good at it. I feel fine, I will get used to this" I say arranging my desk how I wanted it to be.

"Do you want to do something about Sofia Morales?" My dad asks and I shrug once again.

"Why would I do something about her? She is good, she is the best in the department, her numbers are impressive, and she has made no mistakes that I heard of. She is just fine, she is an example to our branches" I say nonchalantly, it was a no-brainer that Sofia would maintain her job.

"That's why I kept her in the company all these years, I'm glad we are on the same page" Dad says with a smile and I nod.

"You can go, I need to start working. I took a day off already, don't waste my time" I say and my sisters laugh.

"You are perfect for the job, I'm so glad I refused all this" Blanca says and I knew she hated this.

"I'm glad you refused it, I'm good at what I do. Now go and let me do my job" I say and they leave.

I found Sofia at lunchtime and everything went normally, I went to talk to Juan and he looked nervous obviously.

"I wanted to talk about Sofia Morales" I say and he nods clearly confused.

"Oh, Sofia. Yeah, she is great" He says and I nod.

"She is. Do you think the department would be affected if she left?" I ask and he is surprised.

"It would greatly affect the department, she is one of the best. She is almost irreplaceable. Did something happen?" He asks clearly concerned for her.

"I just wanted to know some details. Was there ever any big mistake or complaint against her?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"I can't think of anything like that. She made a few common mistakes when she got here but never repeated them. She is a good worker, that's why I recommended her for the promotion, she hires the best people, she is thorough and a good trainer" He says and I nod getting up.

"I think we are on the same page then, have a nice day" I say and he is still confused.

"Were you thinking of firing her?" He asks and I turn around before leaving his office.

"No, I was thinking of transferring her. But we want the best of the best in this building, this is the heart of the company. Don't worry about it" I say and he nods. I leave and feel Sofia looking at me confusedly.

I got to my office on the last floor and saw the view of the city I loved so much, I grew up in this city and spent a lot of time in this office with my dad. I always wanted this. I don't care what people think or say, I have too many families depending on me, I can't make mistakes and if that makes me the bad guy so be it, I couldn't care less.

People fear me so they respect me, I'm not here to make friends. I was in my office until my secretary, Carla, knocked on the door and I told her to get in.

"Will we work this Saturday to compensate for the days we didn't work?" She asks and I shake my head.

"No, get used to the city and enjoy. I won't work this Saturday, I'm still getting used to this so I will just be with my family" I say and she nods.

"Sofia Morales, from human resources, is here, she wanted to talk to you. I said you were busy. Maybe we can schedule an hour for a talk" Carla says and I think about it. Should I really talk to her?

"Tell her she can come inside" I say and she nods. She leaves and Sofia gets in. She was mad.

"Are you really thinking of transferring me without even asking if I would be up for it?" She asks completely outraged by the idea and I look at the chair in front of me.

"I will only say this once because this needs to be clear. Don't talk to me like that, I'm still your boss" I say and she laughs ironically and sits down.

"So, your decision to transfer me is as my boss or my ex?" She asks and I think twice before answering.

"We are in the company, I am your boss. It's been 5 years" I say and she nods.

"If that decision was as my boss then you wouldn't have put my job in question. I have served as an example for other branches, I have trained hundreds of people and you think I am that easily replaceable, your dad already tried it before. It's not that easy. Don't put my job in question and I won't do the same to you" She says getting up.

"How is Elena?" I ask and she stops in her tracks, looks back and she would kill me if she could, I could see it in her eyes. She was fuming.

"I don't know how my mom is, I don't know how my dad is and neither do I know how my brother is. Does that give you enough pleasure to hear?" She asks and I was confused.

"Why? Did something happen to them?" I ask and she laughs.

"I wouldn't know after I was disowned 5 years ago. Your family knows those answers better than me. Don't transfer me, let's keep it professional" She says leaving the office and I'm shocked.

I loved her, she was the only woman I truly loved. Our parents were college friends, and both families are loaded, my parents are her godparents and hers are mine. We dated for 5 years, we were engaged when it ended. When she cheated on me with our biggest rival, Miguel López, I left for the US and never came back. I couldn't risk seeing her. I never knew they had disowned her but I think they also took it personally. What a shame. She lost it all for a quick fuck.