𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 4

♪ Cause when you break me, you break me slowly
You're not here but you're still holding me ♪

Carlos Sainz POV

The meeting was tense, her parents usually don't show up to board meetings even though they are a part of them, it was some kind of revenge, maybe to let her know to not get close to me but I can defend myself. It was old news, I had made my peace with it. Until he was calling her. I saw red for a few seconds. She turned it around and left like nothing happened.

"She is still in contact with him, she has no regrets. I'm so shocked we raised someone like her" Elena says and I smile giving her a quick hug.

"Let's forget that, I already did, you should have too" I say while we left the room but Ana stayed behind.

"Is that him?" Ana asks standing at the window, I go there and see the one and only Miguel in front of my building with his phone in his hand, he wouldn't dare to walk in here.

"I will go there" I say leaving and I don't even hear what they say. I get to the main floor and see Sofia was calling him until he got to her.

"Weren't you going to tell me that he got back?" He asks while I listened discreetly.

"What does that has to do with you?" She asks defensively.

"He can try some petty revenge against me, you could've warned me. Is everything okay? Were you fired? I can get you a job" He says worriedly and tried to touch her cheek but she shoves his hand away.

"I won't have a job for long if somebody sees you here. Get the fuck out of the front of his building, he will get some kind of revenge if he sees you here. Stop being dumb Miguel" She says angrily.

"It's been 5 years, if he wanted to get revenge he would've. Plus, I know he would never fire you. I just wanted to see you. You look good today, is it for him?" He asks getting closer but she pushes him off.

"Get out of here or I will call security and they will make you leave. If someone has to be worried about any revenge it's me, you are just a stone in his shoe, he will kill your name if you dare to challenge him, so don't. Leave" She says and leaves him there. I open the door for her and she looked up to thank me and she lost all her color.

"You are welcome. Go to work. Now" I say and she nods without even muttering a word.

"Carlos! It's so nice to see you. 5 years without seeing you, you look better than when we met in college" He says happily.

"You look like shit but not everyone has good genes" I say calmly.

"They were good enough for your girl" He says with a victorious smile.

"I can't blame her for wanting a downgrade. You two are good for each other honestly. Keep her, you saved me from losing half of my assets" I say shrugging and he nods.

"Convince yourself of that. I'll see you around" He says leaving for his car, as soon as he gets in I go to my office where everyone was.

"I need to work, you should leave" I say and I knew they saw through my facade.

"What happened?" Edgar, her brother, asks and I take a few deep breaths.

"Nothing, we just had a quick talk" I say sitting in my chair and starting to look through the papers even though I wasn't even paying attention to them.

"We should transfer her or fire her, she will only bring problems now that you are here" My dad says and I shake my head.

"No. I can deal with her. I won't let personal problems interfere with my work. She is good, really good at what she does. I am not weak. I know I've hit rock bottom but I'm fine now. Stop acting like I'm going to spiral at any moment. It's under control" I say and they nod.

"We will leave you but call us if you need anything"

They left and I was fuming, I could barely think about work but I did what I did in America. I focused and forgot it all, I didn't have lunch and I didn't stop until I did all that I had to do. I should've left an hour earlier but now at least I'm content with the work I've done. I get in the elevator and when it stops on the 20th she gets in distracted with her colleague.

"Do you want to grab dinner? I haven't seen you eat all day" Amelia asks and she shakes her head.

"No, I need to go home. I feel like I'm going to pass out" She says putting her hand on her forehead, probably to see if she had a fever.

"Call me if you need anything, I will be doing a whole load of nothing. See you on Monday" She says getting out on the main floor.

"Have a nice weekend" I say when the elevator stops at the park and leave, she looks surprised but just nods. Our cars were close and we just walked in silence. "I don't care about your romantic relationships, but I don't want him here. He is part of the competition and I would prefer if you keep him away"

"Sorry about that. He won't come here again" She says and I try not to laugh with the irony. She never apologized for cheating on me but she apologizes for her affair partner coming to my company.

I got in my car and left before her. I got home and took a good shower, I needed to relax. I wasn't prepared to see her after all, and I wasn't expecting her to still be with him. I shouldn't have come back but I had to. For me and for my family, they needed me close and I needed closure from when I left. I got no closure, I feel like a bigger idiot for ever trusting her and loving her.