𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 13

♫ Trade my joy for my protection
Grab my hand, I'm drowning ♫

Carlos Sainz POV

After what happened Ana called everyone and asked them to meet us at my house. The one I bought to live with Sofia there. I went upstairs and waited for everyone to come, Ana went upstairs and called to head downstairs.

"What happened?" Edgar asks confusedly as to why everyone was there.

"I talked to Sofia. We found each other in the park" I say and everyone was clearly surprised.

"I don't know if we should talk about this" My dad says worriedly but I shake my head.

"Miguel raped her. We all turned against her when she was raped. I was a fucking coward, I ran. We are all to blame for this mess. She did nothing wrong" I say and everyone's faces went pale.

Before I could even breathe I see Elena crying. Sofia was her baby, I know the toll this took on her. Sofia was her baby, the youngest daughter and she was her mother's twin. She used to be the sweetest person ever, Miguel ruined it and we helped destroy her. I couldn't even deal with the information yet.

"Please, tell me this is a sick joke. I can't- I didn't even-" Elena says while sobbing, she couldn't even finish the sentence.

"She confirmed it. I don't know why she didn't contact us or if a report was made but I didn't search for more information yet. That was all she told me"

"Oh God" Ricardo says taking his hands to his face. His whole demeanor changed as soon as I opened my mouth. It's his daughter after all. Only God knows how much it cost him to throw her out on the streets and to tell everyone to not employ her or help her in any way.

The silence filled the room, everyone was speechless. We stayed quiet for a while. Until I went to serve myself some whisky to get some thoughts out of my head.

"I am going to get revenge against him. I am going to destroy him and the López family. I don't care if you agree with it. He went unpunished for 5 years, he keeps pursuing her, he is stalking her, assaulting her, and threatening her. He will be dead by the time I'm done with him" I say confidently. This is the one thing I am sure about.

"I will help you with whatever you need" My dad was sure of it too. He stood up and grabbed my hand. "I am sorry for telling you that leaving would be the best choice. It never crossed my mind son"

"I- I just need some time to process this" I say and he nods.

"Let's go to our own homes and get this information in. You should make some calls to find out if something worse could've occurred. Do whatever you have to do. We have your back. Tell me if you need something" Ricardo says and Edgar nods. Regret and guilt were splattered on everyone's faces. Sofia was right, they wouldn't be able to live with this discovery.

They left and I asked Ana and Blanca to leave too. They wanted to be there for me but I need to find the rest by myself. Mom hugged before she left and she whispered a sobbing sorry before she did so.

The next day Sofia wasn't in. She wasn't going to be in all week by doctor's orders. I called a few hospitals before I finally got a positive answer. She was there the night before I got the video. I went there and the doctor was ready to receive me.

"It's nice to meet you Mister Sainz" He says as I shake his hand politely.

"This is the amount we agreed on" I say handing him the envelope and he nods nervously.

"This is the file we have for Miss Morales" He says handing me a big folder and I am surprised.

"Why is it this big?" I ask confusedly. Is this the right Sofia Morales?

"She was in our facilities for a month. Everything that was in the system is there" He says looking around the parking lot.

"Thank you. It was a pleasure to do business with you" I say nodding. I am now fearful of what I might find. I know this is a huge invasion of privacy but I will make Miguel suffer accordingly to what he made her go through.

"Be careful with what's inside. I decided to show you because if it was my wife I would like to know it too" He says before heading inside the hospital.

I waited until I got home to open it. I got to my office and I opened it carefully. I saw the report from the ambulance. She had a broken rib, a stabbing wound on her stomach, and a lot of bruises on her legs when they picked her up. She requested that no one be called to the hospital. Her car was found burned next to the alley where they found her. Her vital signs were weak but she recovered when she arrived at the hospital.

Photos of her were there, photos taken by police. A rape test was done, she was definitely raped, no condom was worn, and his DNA was recovered. She was operated on to stop the bleeding and only gained consciousness the day after my birthday. No vital organ was affected. She was stable for 2 days until she attempted to kill herself before getting discharged from the hospital.

The next page was where I wondered if I was the one who should be dead. She lost our child due to the stress, she was 12 weeks along. She didn't know and neither did I. She was admitted to the psych ward, and she stayed there for 1 month. She came back home once she was discharged and she was kicked out. She never told us because we never gave her the chance.

Everyone had texted her the night I got the video. She woke up to that, she would've told me if I had just stopped to think. The tears were watering the pages before I noticed I was even crying. I failed her. I failed our child. I destroyed our relationship. The moment when she needed me the most was when I was completely gone. Oh, Sofia. I am so sorry mi amor.