𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 31

♪ And I know you said that we're not talkin'
But I miss you, I'm sorry ♪

Carlos Sainz POV

I heard Sofia's and Edgar's voices in the hallway and they clearly kissed each other goodbye and I pretended to be asleep. I noticed she was taken aback by my sudden confession and I probably did something very wrong because I should've thought a little bit more about how this could affect her. It was a stupid way to find out if these last few months meant anything but I tried.

She joined me in bed and I stopped pretending to fall asleep because I actually slept like a minute later. The next morning I was woken up by some voices in the hallway that I recognized as being my sisters.

"Puta madre" Sofia mutters angrily as sat down in bed.

"Good morning sunshine" The nickname was sarcastic but it was enough to warrant a chuckle from the angry woman sitting by my side.

"I mean, I can't really blame it on them. It's 10 AM. We slept too much" She says as she looked at the clock and I sit down in bed too.

"Work has this effect on us. I woke up when my alarm would usually rang even though I had it off. It's automatic but on days like these, we can sleep as much as we want. They would never wake us up" I say calmly and she nods.

"Time for breakfast but I'm going to the bathroom first" She says as she runs off to the bathroom. I leave the room and head to a service bathroom down the hall. As I get out I hear their talk in the kitchen and I stop in my tracks as my name is mentioned. Sofia is obviously looking at me curiously.

"Did any of you knew they were this close again?" Her mom asks curiously.

"I had an idea once I told her about my health concerns and she ran to his office" Her dad says calmly as he was probably reading today's paper. No one could upset that man, except for his family.

"And you didn't tell me?" Her mother asks almost outraged.

"Their business is their business. If they wanted to be known as a couple between us they would've told us. My baby deserves her happiness even if she is scared to admit to herself that Carlos is that for her" Her dad adds calmly and I could very well guess that Elena nodded to her husband. He is a very wise man, always was. He looks very cold but he isn't.

"I also saw them together in their house after the charity gala. I had my suspicions after that but I like to see them both being happy" Ana says happily.

"She went back to the house with him? That is very susprising" My mom says shocked by the revelation.

"She is way happier now, and so is Carlos. Let them be. I don't want them to rush and then everything to be over before it even had a chance to ignite correctly" Blanca says and I look at Sofia.

"I'm going in so they can stop their gossip session of the day" I whisper as I give her a smile but she holds my hand.

"You make me happy. You know that right? You make me feel happy and safe, I want you to know it" She says almost fearfully as she looks into my eyes.

"I know. I will make you feel happy and protected for as long as you allow me to because I do love you and I don't want you to say it back until you are ready to do so" I say as I lean down to kiss her cheek and she smiles.

We entered the kitchen and everyone changed the subject. It was so funny to see them trying to find a new thing to talk about but we just pretended not to notice. We decided to walk around the city later in the day so the sun wouldn't be as strong and the older generation wanted to play cards, we wanted to go into the deck and hang out while having some fun.

"How is the work going? Juan still has a lot of years to go, will you wait until then to take his place or do you have something else in mind?" Ana asks as she looked at Sofia who shrugged.

"I should ask my boss how many options I have besides waiting 20 years for Juan to decide to retire" She says as she looks at me and everyone laughs.

"What do you want to do?" I ask curiously.

"Honestly? A remote position with slightly better pay and only having to go to meetings when needed. Covid brought the remote positions and they were heavenly. Now only certain people could keep their remote work" She went from excited to disappointed.

"I can work something out. I have been having some conversations about a new position in the HR department that would work pretty well with a remote position, you are the only person I'm considering for it too. I will let you know if it goes ahead. The payment would be substantially better too" I was being honest but she seemed skeptical.

"Are you being serious? Who knows about this?"

"I have met with Juan, and he agrees with the position being created, he also said you were the best person for the job. Statistics are also on your side for the promotion. It will be a done deal now that I know you would accept a different position where you could work from home" I was being mysterious but she smiled.

"I would definitely take it in a heartbeat. Let me know when I can start getting ready for more freedom and less time in traffic" She says as she takes a sip of her drink.

"Well, it looks like your boss has answered your question" Ana says as she lets out a laugh and she nods at me while Sofia was distracted.

"My boss is a very communicative person" She says with a smirk to which I nod.

"I tend to think of myself as a very approachable person"

"You are wrong Mister Arrogant" She mutters and everyone laughs. What a cool nickname people gave me. I love my employees.