13-14

Chapter 13 – Making Money

The people who came here had sharp eyesight and immediately noticed. In no time, a woman approached quietly and asked, “How much are you selling this rice for, girl?”

Lu Xia cleared her throat and replied, “50 cents a catty.”

“What? 50 cents a catty?! Why don’t you just rob people? The supply and marketing cooperative sells it for a little over 10 cents, and the black market sells it for just over 20 cents. You’ve multiplied the price several times!”

Lu Xia remained calm despite the woman’s excitement. She felt a pang of regret herself because this rice was grown using spiritual spring water, 50 cents was practically giving it away. If it weren’t for the need to earn money, she wouldn’t even want to sell it.

Although the woman spoke softly due to being in the black market, her voice was not low. Many people around heard the commotion and were surprised when they learned the price. Some secretly helped negotiate for a lower price.

However, Lu Xia remained unmoved and said, “This is top-grade polished rice with high nutritional value, especially beneficial for the elderly and children’s health.”

But the woman didn’t believe her explanation at all. “Who hasn’t eaten rice? I’ve never heard that eating rice can improve your health. You’re demanding an outrageous price!”

Lu Xia was speechless. “It’s up to you if you don’t believe it, but my rice is indeed of high quality.”

Saying that, she slightly opened the mouth of the rice bag, allowing everyone to see it more clearly.

“I have meticulously cultivated this rice with good water and soil. It’s much better than ordinary polished rice. It doesn’t require tickets, and I don’t have much of it. This price is already not high. If it weren’t for the need to make some money, I wouldn’t even want to sell it.”

Upon closer inspection, others could indeed see that this rice looked much better than regular polished rice. Polished rice on the black market cost over 30 cents a catty, making many people tempted to buy.

The woman already knew that this rice was of good quality; otherwise, she wouldn’t have inquired about the price. Her son was a picky eater and didn’t consume coarse grains. Fortunately, she and her husband had jobs and could afford it. However, their monthly quota for refined grains was too small, so she had no choice but to secretly buy from the black market.

She was immediately drawn to the rice Lu Xia was selling, but she didn’t expect it to be so expensive. Initially, she considered giving up, but the aroma of the rice intrigued her. Now seeing others interested as well, she couldn’t resist.

“Even if your rice is good, it shouldn’t be this expensive. How about you lower the price? Sell it for 40 cents a catty, and I’ll buy it.”

But no matter what she said, Lu Xia remained firm. “No, it’s 50 cents. If I can’t sell it, then I won’t sell it at all.”

Hearing her resolute response, everyone realized she was telling the truth. It further emphasized that her rice was indeed worth that price. Otherwise, why would she refuse to sell or lower the price?

As a result, many people spoke up, expressing their intention to buy.

Those who could come to the black market to buy things mostly had surplus money at home and came to improve their lives. Although 50 cents a catty was expensive, they could afford it.

Soon, Lu Xia sold forty catties. With only ten catties left, the woman couldn’t hold back any longer and quickly spoke up, “Girl, that’s enough. Sell me the rest, and I’ll try it at home. If it tastes good, I’ll come back to buy more.”