51-52

Chapter 51 – Cheng Yujiao’s Audacious Move

In the early morning, before the sun had risen, there was still dew on the ground. Mixed with the mud brought up from pulling out weeds, it didn’t take long for Cheng Yujiao’s little white shoes to turn into little black shoes.

She wrinkled her brow in disgust, and in no time, even her white shirt wasn’t spared.

Working was already tiring enough, and now her clean clothes had suddenly become like this.

Cheng Yujiao felt that she couldn’t bear it anymore, so she left the field without even asking for permission or asking for a break.

At first, everyone thought she had gone to the restroom or wanted to slack off for a while, but they didn’t expect her to be gone for the entire morning.

The team leader in charge of their group had a very unpleasant expression.

When they finished work, he called Lu Xia and a few others aside. “Tell that new educated youth that if she does this again, she won’t get any work points. I’ve never seen someone so disorganized and undisciplined!”

After saying that, he ignored them and walked away.

The people involved looked at each other and then turned their gaze to Gu Xiangnan.

Gu Xiangnan’s expression wasn’t good either, but he still tried to explain, “I think she probably couldn’t handle it right after arriving in the countryside. She might be exhausted.”

However, his words were quickly proven wrong.

When they returned, the person he claimed was exhausted was sitting leisurely in the courtyard, humming a song and looking content.

She had changed back into her previous fancy… bragi skirt.

Compared to them, who were covered in dirt and looked unkempt, they seemed like people from two different worlds.

Gu Xiangnan’s face turned completely black upon seeing this. He confronted her, “Where were you this morning? Why didn’t you ask for leave and just not show up for work?”

Cheng Yujiao seemed oblivious to the severity of the situation and smiled, acting coquettish. “My clothes were dirty, and I couldn’t stand the stickiness on my body. This work is really not meant for humans. Besides, I don’t care about these work points. I don’t want to work anymore.”

Her words left even Lu Xia and the others with an incredulous expression.

What kind of mindset was this? Why come to the countryside if she didn’t want to work? Was she here for a vacation?

Gu Xiangnan’s face had gone beyond black at this point and was now bordering on fury.

“If you don’t want to work, you can leave right now! Why did you come to the countryside as an educated youth? Educated youths come to make contributions to the rural areas, not for you to enjoy yourself! If you don’t want to work, go back early! Don’t affect everyone here.”

Cheng Yujiao finally realized that Gu Xiangnan was genuinely angry this time and quickly apologized. “Okay, Brother Xiangnan, I know I was wrong. But I really can’t do those tasks. It’s not like I’m intentionally refusing to do them!”

Gu Xiangnan took a deep breath, suppressing his emotions, and continued to reason with her. “There are many tasks in the countryside, not just this one. There are also easier ones. If you can’t handle this one, you can go with Comrade Su Man to cut pigweed. That one is relatively easier. But you can’t refuse to work at all. We came to the countryside as educated youths, and our household registration has been transferred here. The village leaders have the qualifications to evaluate us politically. If you offend them, it will be difficult for you to pass the political review later, and it might even be difficult for you to return to the city. Think about it seriously.”