39-40

Chapter 39 – Buying Boxes

Seeing everyone in such a state, Sun Shengnan consoled them, saying, “Actually, the village doesn’t have work all year round. During winter, there’s not much to do, and we practically rest for the whole winter. The winters are long in the northeast, lasting about four months. Others might think it’s too leisurely, but not working means no work points earned. Of course, if you want to do easier tasks, there are options like cutting pig grass, herding cows, or cleaning the pigsty in the village. These jobs aren’t tiring, but they offer more work points and are usually assigned to families in more difficult circumstances.”

Upon hearing this, Lu Xia and the others nodded, contemplating what to do next.

Soon, everyone returned to the educated youth spot.

Chen Xue and Zhou Lai’er had already prepared lunch, which consisted of coarse grain porridge, stir-fried cabbage, and cucumber salad. The taste was average, but everyone was quite hungry and ate it all up.

After the meal, no one spoke much. Perhaps they were too tired and just wanted to rest for a while. Lu Xia glanced at Jiang Junmo and saw his legs wobbling again. She wondered if he could persevere.

Sure enough, when she went to work in the afternoon, she heard Gu Xiangnan talk to the village chief to ask for leave, Jiang Junmo couldn’t get to work anymore.

The village chief furrowed his brows upon hearing this but didn’t say anything. He probably considered Jiang Junmo’s frail physique. Nevertheless, the villagers began discussing the fragility of the new educated youth in their presence.

The educated youths heard the discussions, but the old educated youths seemed accustomed to it and paid no attention. Lu Xia and the others, who were new, also seemed indifferent, pretending not to have heard.

Lu Xia had prepared in advance when she arrived in the afternoon. She had a wet towel on her head, which made her feel much better. However, when it was time to finish work, she was so tired that she almost couldn’t get up.

On that day, she earned four work points, while Sun Shengnan and the others earned six. Considering it was their first day of work, it was quite a decent result, and the village chief seemed satisfied with their performance.

They limped back to the educated youth spot.

Dinner was not yet ready, so Lu Xia first fetched some water to freshen up. Feeling refreshed, she regained some energy and then asked Sun Shengnan about getting boxes made.

After hearing Lu Xia’s question, Sun Shengnan promptly said, “There’s an elderly carpenter in the village named Old Yu. If you need anything made, you can go to him. You should go and take a look.”

Lu Xia asked about the distance and found out it wasn’t far. She decided to go and see Old Yu right away. Upon hearing this, Su Man also wanted to join her and see for herself.

So the two of them went out together.

Lu Xia and Su Man were not familiar with each other, and Su Man probably didn’t care much about Lu Xia either. They didn’t talk much during the walk.

When they arrived at the place Sun Shengnan mentioned, they knocked on the door from outside. After waiting for a while without a response, Lu Xia glanced around and realized that the sound of knocking probably couldn’t be heard in the countryside. So she directly shouted, “Is anyone there?”

Then an old lady walked out and, upon seeing the two of them, asked, “Little girls, who are you looking for?”

Su Man pointed to her and said, “Are you Grandma Li? We are new educated youths and wanted to ask if Grandpa Li can make some boxes for us.”