71-80

Chapter 71 – Calculations Fall Through

And Zhou Lai’er’s expression finally fell when she saw everyone’s attitude.

After a while, she chuckled self-mockingly.

“So, you all think I obtained this marriage through calculations and look down on me, right? But if I didn’t scheme, I wouldn’t get anything. You don’t understand me or my life. You don’t know the kind of family I grew up in. Why do you look down on me?

“Do you know? I wasn’t called Zhou Lai’er when I was a child. How could my old-fashioned parents give me such a fancy name? Before the age of seven, I was called Zhou Laier, ‘laier’ as in ‘come.’ They wanted a son, so they gave me a name that wasn’t even as good as a dog’s.”

“It was during school when the teacher realized my name was too straightforward and changed it to Zhou Lai’er.

“I’ve known since I was little that if you want something good, you have to fight for it or snatch it. Otherwise, it won’t be mine!

“So, whether you look down on me or dislike me, it doesn’t matter. Because I’ve gained the benefits, I’ve achieved my goals, and I can leave here soon. I won’t have to repeat the heavy chores every day anymore.

“So, I don’t care what you think because we won’t be on the same path anymore.”

With that, she lifted her chin high, looked down at them as if from a superior position, and walked away with her belongings, not even leaving behind the wedding candies.

The others exchanged looks, except for Chen Xue who was in the room; everyone didn’t know what to say.

Of course, they couldn’t agree with her words.

No matter how bad her childhood was, at least there should be a moral bottom line in being a person. Using means to steal someone else’s man was something they looked down upon.

“Tch,” Cheng Yujiao said, “Isn’t she just marrying a platoon leader? She’s acting like she’s married to the country’s leader.”

“Don’t talk nonsense!” Gu Xiangnan interrupted her.

Su Man didn’t even look at Zhou Lai’er, she continued eating, clearly looking down on her.

Liu Xia was the same, but the only impact Zhou Lai’er’s marriage had on them was that their bed in the room now accommodated four people again.

Sleeping at night became a bit easier.

But the news they heard the next day when they went to work made Zhou Lai’er the subject of everyone’s ridicule again.

It turned out that Hu Jianjun had left the village early in the morning and returned to his military unit.

However, he went alone, and Zhou Lai’er didn’t accompany him.

It was said that the Hu family had split, and Mother Hu would be living with the eldest son, Hu Jianjun, from now on.

Hu Jianjun had just been promoted to platoon leader, and the available rooms were very small. If he were to bring his mother to the army, there wouldn’t be enough space. So Zhou Lai’er was left behind to take care of his mother.

When Liu Xia heard this, she laughed. Zhou Lai’er’s efforts seemed to be in vain again. After all the fuss, she would still have to stay in the village.

Liu Xia strongly suspected that it was intentional on the part of Mother Hu since anyone could tell she didn’t like this daughter-in-law.

But all of this was none of their concern.