171-180

Chapter 171 – Swinging the Hoe

Lu Xia was surprised. Did she dig so deep?

She exerted more force and finally pried the whole root out.

Looking at it, she saw that the roots were spread out like an umbrella. They were indeed tightly and deeply anchored. No wonder everyone’s expressions were so serious; this was undoubtedly a physically demanding task!

Even for someone like Lu Xia, who had a strong physique, it wasn’t easy, let alone the other female educated youths.

Lu Xia observed that everyone found it quite strenuous.

Looking over at the male educated youths, the situation was slightly better, but they still couldn’t compare to the villagers.

She checked on Jiang Junmo and found that he was doing well. Although he initially lacked strength, he quickly grasped the technique and kept up with the others’ progress.

That relieved her.

She continued digging, trying a few more times until she gradually mastered the right strength and method. After a while, she became quite proficient, even quicker than some of the experienced female educated youths.

However, she still controlled her pace to match everyone else’s.

Despite that, by the time they finished working, Lu Xia still felt some pain in her shoulders.

Swinging the hoe all morning had tired her out.

For lunch, Jiang Junmo cooked. He was worried that she might be too tired, wanting her to rest more. However, Lu Xia felt fine. It was just that after not doing such laborious work for a long time, it was natural to feel tired. She would get used to it.

But seeing Jiang Junmo’s willingness to take care of her, she felt content.

After lunch, they lay down and rested for a while before returning to work.

Perhaps it was the first day back to work after the New Year, and everyone was relatively exhausted, especially in the afternoon. Many people could hardly continue, and it seemed that the village chief anticipated this, so they finished work a bit early.

That day, both Jiang Junmo and Lu Xia earned seven work points, which was already quite a lot. Lu Xia thought that if they both continued working like this, they might earn enough work points to sustain them for a year.

After finishing work, several female educated youths eagerly came to find her to go wild vegetable picking.

Lu Xia was surprised because it seemed that they had forgotten how tired they were just now. Nevertheless, she perked up and joined them. She also wanted to eat some fresh food.

Seeing this, Jiang Junmo was a bit worried, “How about we go tomorrow? Rest well today; we still have cabbage at home.”

Lu Xia shook her head, “I heard that many people from the village are going to pick wild vegetables today. They might all be gone tomorrow.”

Unable to persuade her, Jiang Junmo could only say, “Then let’s pick a little; we can’t eat too much.”

“I got it.”

Lu Xia followed the female educated youths to the field, feeling surprised as she had thought they were going to the mountains.

Sun Shengnan explained, “The wild vegetables in the mountains haven’t grown yet after the thaw, but some low-lying wild vegetables should be ready. There are popoding, shepherd’s purse, and oh, also jijicai, but that one has a strange taste, a bit like patchouli. If you like it, you can pick some.”