31-32

Chapter 31 – Approaching Destination

After arriving here, most of the educated youth in the carriage got off the train.

Lu Xia struggled to carry two canvas bags and squeezed her way out of the train.

Looking back, she saw that Gu Xiangnan was not only carrying his own luggage but also helping Su Man. Jiang Junmo was also struggling to make his way down, seeming less energetic than her.

Finally managing to get off, Lu Xia felt like she had almost lost half of her life.

As soon as they got off the train, they heard people nearby calling out to the educated youth.

It wasn’t until Lu Xia and the others approached that they found out that they were sent by various villages and towns to pick them up.

She quickly found the person from Shayuan Town and saw that Gu Xiangnan and Su Man had also arrived.

But when she turned around, she saw Jiang Junmo with a pale face, looking a bit alarming.

Gu Xiangnan noticed and worriedly asked, “Comrade Jiang, are you okay?”

Jiang Junmo’s face was covered in cold sweat, but he still shook his head. “I’m fine.”

Gu Xiangnan nodded and helped put everyone’s luggage onto the tractor that had come to pick them up.

There were quite a few educated youth coming this time, with more than thirty from their town alone. It took two tractors to transport everyone along with their luggage.

The road back wasn’t easy, almost entirely mountainous. The person driving the tractor said that they had buses in their area, but the departure times were fixed. The bus would leave the town at six in the morning and leave the county at five in the evening.

The road was a dirt road, and the tractor kicked up dust as it moved along.

Lu Xia regretted not bringing a mask and could only cover her nose with her hand.

Looking at Su Man, she had made a makeshift mask out of a handkerchief, but it didn’t seem to be very effective, and she ended up with a dusty face too.

The tractor drove for almost two hours before finally reaching the town. Lu Xia felt sore all over after getting off. The tractor was too bumpy.

Looking at Jiang Junmo, he was swaying as he walked, looking even more frightening.

But at this point, they hadn’t reached their final destination yet.

People were waiting for them in the town, as they would be assigned to different villages.

Lu Xia, Su Man, Gu Xiangnan, Jiang Junmo, and another girl named Zhuang Hongmei and a boy named Li Yi were assigned to Dayingshan Village.

A young man in his twenties came to pick them up. He told them to put their luggage on the bullock cart and then walk behind him.

Great, now they didn’t even have a cart to ride in.

Lu Xia could accept it; she was still feeling sore from sitting on the train. Walking would do her good.

But the girl named Zhuang Hongmei couldn’t accept it. She spoke up, “There’s still room on the cart. Why aren’t we allowed to ride?”

The young man who came to pick them up was named Li Hongjun. He immediately frowned at her words.

“Can’t you see how much luggage you all brought? It’s already heavy. Do you want to exhaust the ox to death by getting on as well? Our village only has this one ox, and we need it for farming!”