15-16

Chapter 15 – Taken for Granted

After dinner, Lu Xia didn’t bother to clean up the table. Instead, she took a basin and went outside to wash up before returning to her room and lying down to sleep.

She didn’t even “wake up” when Lu Chun and Lu Qiu entered the room.

Of course, Lu Xia wasn’t actually sleeping. It was June, summertime, and it was still early, around seven o’clock, so it wasn’t dark yet.

She simply didn’t want to face them.

Her family probably wanted to give her some time to come to terms with reality, so they let her be.

Yes, she knew that her family always believed she would accept everything calmly because they saw her as a sensible child who never complained. No matter how they treated her, she wouldn’t get angry.

As the eldest, Lu Chun had new clothes, and as a boy, Lu Dong also had new clothes.

So Lu Xia had been wearing Lu Chun’s hand-me-down clothes since she was born.

But by the time it was Lu Qiu’s turn, the clothes Lu Xia had worn were too worn out to be worn anymore, so they had to buy new ones.

Thus, all the children in the family had new clothes except for Lu Xia.

When she was younger, she felt dissatisfied, but her parents’ long-standing favoritism and indifference had made her accustomed to it.

So she couldn’t be bothered to think about it or complain. She became the obedient child her parents wanted her to be.

She used to think that no matter what, her parents loved her, so she was willing to endure and make sacrifices for the sake of the family. But now, such thoughts seemed laughable.

They took her sacrifices for granted and trampled over her without hesitation. Since the original host left, she wouldn’t consider them as her family anymore. Anyway, she didn’t have much time left in this family. She would endure a few more days and treat them as strangers in the future.

That evening, neither Lu Chun nor Lu Qiu spoke after entering the room.

Lu Chun felt a little guilty because she knew that this time it was because of her tearful plea that their mother agreed to give her Lu Xia’s job.

In order to achieve that, Lu Chun had even signed her up for the countryside program herself.

So she felt a mix of emotions, not knowing how to face Lu Xia.

But deep down, she was relieved that she didn’t have to go to the countryside. She also felt happy at the thought of soon having an office job.

As for Lu Qiu, she was still young, only 13 years old this year. She knew about what was happening in the family and that her usually obedient second sister had been b*llied again.

Silently in her heart, she vowed not to be like her second sister in the future. She would hide anything valuable carefully, or else it would be taken away from her.

Lu Xia didn’t care about what the two of them were thinking. After lying down, she pretended to fall asleep and entered the space, checking the stockpile of grains.

She felt fortunate that she had used old burlap sacks to store the grains to save money. If she had used plastic bags, she probably wouldn’t be able to take them out in this era.

She also noticed the numerous vegetables growing in the field and picked the ripe ones.

Setting them aside, she thought about picking all the vegetables in a few days and planting grains instead.