23-24

Chapter 23 – Needing Money

She thought this way and felt that she had to prepare more.

However, she asked and found out that although buying toilet paper didn’t require tickets at the moment, there were purchase restrictions, and each person could only buy a very small amount.

So she had to visit the supply and marketing cooperatives in various areas and bought everything she could.

As the day was getting late, she decided not to continue and planned to go to the department store tomorrow.

After returning this time, the family members were all still there.

Mother Lu seemed very happy, probably because her beloved eldest daughter finally had a stable job. While eating, she mentioned someone who wanted to introduce a potential partner to her daughter, and she was preparing to choose a good one for her to meet.

Father Lu also nodded in agreement, which was rare.

Lu Xia remembered what Lu Qiu had said and looked at Lu Chun. She noticed that her expression was off, but she didn’t speak up, and she had no idea about the situation with her potential partner.

However, seeing the joyous smiles on her family members’ faces, she felt a bit uncomfortable. They probably forgot that she would be going to the countryside soon.

Lu Xia inexplicably felt indignant on behalf of the original owner.

So she thought of something and directly said, “Mom, I’ll be going to the countryside soon. Didn’t you say you would prepare things for me? Are they ready?

By the way, you mentioned yesterday that it’s cold in the northeast. Shouldn’t you prepare a thick padded coat for me?

Also, I’ve never worn new clothes from childhood to adulthood. This time, I probably won’t know if I can come back after going to the countryside. You should at least prepare a new set of clothes for me, right?”

As her words fell, the house fell silent in an instant, and the previous liveliness disappeared.

Mother Lu opened her mouth upon hearing her words but didn’t know what to say. Finally, she said, “Didn’t I say I’ll give you two quilts? Those are new.”

Lu Xia nodded and said, “Yes, I know. Besides the quilts, what else?”

Seeing Mother Lu remaining silent, Lu Xia pretended to be surprised and said, “It can’t be that apart from the quilts, you haven’t prepared anything for me, right?”

Mother Lu’s face turned sour upon hearing her words. “What else do you want? Who would bring two good quilts when going to the countryside!”

Lu Xia sarcastically laughed after hearing her words. “Yes, the quilts are nice, but I’m lacking in other things.

Over the years, I’ve been using what my eldest sister left behind. I’ve worn the same padded jacket for several years now, and the cotton inside has turned into lumps. It’s not warm anymore, and even in the capital city, it’s cold to wear. If I go to the northeast wearing it, I’ll probably freeze to death.

The clothes are patched up with patches. After all, my eldest sister wouldn’t give me even slightly patched clothes before, and she would rather let them gather dust. I don’t even have a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, or a washbasin. Are you just sending me off to the countryside like this? Am I going for refuge?”

Hearing her speak this way, Mother Lu’s face turned unpleasant, and she wanted to say something, but Lu Xia continued, “I remember that when the notice for going to the countryside came, the Educated Youth Office provided resettlement fees, right? It seemed to be more than two hundred yuan. Mom, if you don’t have time, just give me the money, and I’ll prepare it myself.”