211-220

Chapter 211 – The Hardships of Pregnancy

After hearing this, Lu Xia was somewhat surprised. This was happening so suddenly; she didn’t expect Chen Xue to get married so quickly.

“Isn’t this too rushed? Couldn’t they wait until after the new year?” Lu Xia exclaimed.

Shen Qingqing shook her head. “The groom is on duty during the new year. He was able to come back this time because of the wedding. The military granted him some leave.”

Lu Xia understood, “Ah, Sun Shengnan is still working in the road construction team. She probably won’t be able to come back then.”

“Yes!” Shen Qingqing nodded, “But Chen Xue said her husband’s hometown is in the neighboring village. When she visits them in the future, she’ll still come to see us.”

Lu Xia nodded, “Okay, I understand. I’ll prepare a gift and give it to her before her wedding.”

Shen Qingqing nodded in agreement, then added hesitantly, “I’ve prepared a gift for her too, but I don’t have much money. I’m planning to embroider a handkerchief for her.”

Lu Xia smiled, “Don’t worry, no matter what you give, Chen Xue will appreciate it.”

After Shen Qingqing left, Lu Xia continued to ponder this matter. She thought Chen Xue really had fate with military men; the first time she almost married one, and now she was marrying another.

She just hoped that this time things would go well for her.

And as the saying goes, a setback may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Looking at Zhou Lai’er’s current life, it was even worse than being an educated youth. Lu Xia wondered if she regretted her choices.

Lu Xia prepared a pair of pillowcases for Chen Xue. She had bought them before going to the countryside, not knowing what would be useful. Since she hadn’t used many, she decided to give them as a gift.

Chen Xue was surprised when she received the gift. She hadn’t expected Lu Xia, with whom she hadn’t been very close, to give her such a valuable present.

Because her family was far away, she didn’t have much dowry. Including these pillowcases could make her dowry look better, so she reluctantly accepted without refusing. However, she planned to bring a gift for Lu Xia next time she visited.

Since Chen Xue was getting married in the neighboring village, Lu Xia didn’t attend the wedding after giving her the gift.

Chen Xue’s belongings were taken as dowry during the wedding, and on the second day of marriage, she followed her husband to the military base.

Thus, another female educated youth was married off from the countryside.

After Chen Xue left, Lu Xia recalled the unexpected encounter with Cheng Yujiao when she went to give the gift. She was surprised to see how much Cheng Yujiao had changed.

She remembered that when Cheng Yujiao first arrived in the countryside, she looked like a wealthy young lady, dressed in the best clothes and using the best items.

But now, she looked much more haggard. The once fair and tender skin seemed to have lost its luster, making her hardly distinguishable from others.

Lu Xia didn’t know what had happened to her, but it didn’t matter to her.

Lu Xia was already six months pregnant, and her growing belly was quite noticeable.

In fact, she had been feeling fetal movements since four or five months.