Chapter 6: Departure

"Who had been the burden now?" Roan said jokingly while fanning using her abanico. They're walking through the dense and dark forest on their way back to the village.

Anger has welled up inside Alexander because of what he heard from Roan, He unconsciously loaded an arrow onto his bow and aimed it at her, "What do ye want to happen now?! Want me to end thy life?!" He's trembling in rage.

Roan ignored him, she continued to walk as well as continually mocking him. "Thrown pebbles in the air, whoever got hit, don't be angry." she said with a little laugh.

Lawrence held Alexander's hand, trying to pacify the engkanto's anger, "That's enough. Don't argue."

Alexander sighed and held down his bow. He's still embarrassed by what happened earlier. He was negligent.

They arrived in Barrio Masangsang and went straight to the eatery. They were welcomed by the old lady who was waiting for them, serving them dinner as soon as they arrived.

"If it's not the anggitay who took it, then who?" she asked after the trio told them what happened in the forest.

"The anggitay said the kalis is still in the village. I have a strong feeling I know who took it." It was Roan who answered.

"The thieves who tried to rob you this morning?" Lawrence asked her.

"Yes, I was thinking it was them. I saw footprints at the base of the statue of Apolaki. Those are not footprints of an anggitay, but that of a human." She explained as she turned her glance to the window to where the statue is standing, "I ignored it earlier, but now it's clear to me." she added.

Alexander also viewed the statue but it was too dark, he couldn't see the footprints she mentioned.

"We will search for them tomorrow morning." Lawrence said as he stood. The two agreed.

"Then it would be best for you to rest now." the old woman suggested as she stood up to clean the table.

"Thank you, Madam... Uhhh... May we know your name?" Lawrence shyly scratched his head as he asked, thinking how to address the old lady who served them.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." she laughed at how she forgot to introduce herself, "I forgot to introduce myself properly. My name is Karidad, I am the Captain of this village, but you can call me Aling Karing."

He smiled, "Thank you, Aling Karing."

"Alright, please take your rest, it's midnight. I apologize if I can only offer one room." She said while looking at Roan.

"No problem, these two were gentlemen, they have no evil intent." She answered with a smile on her face.

Alexander couldn't help thinking, after all of the crudity he did to her, after pointing his bow at her, she still called him a gentleman without evil intent. He bit the inside of his cheek, he felt guilty.

The three went upstairs to head to the room. As gentlemen, they let Roan lie on the bed. They all took their places just like this afternoon, Lawrence on the chair and Alexander in the window.

Alexander couldn't sleep that night. He's just staring at the three moons in the clear night's sky. He's been thinking about how he felt earlier, how he felt for Lawrence. He turned to look at the sleeping young man. He looked at the face of the young man, illuminated by the soft light from the lamp. He's painting every line, every curve, the texture, every detail of his face in his mind.

He sighed. He then stood up and walked out of the room. Creaking sound was heard as he stepped down the wooden stairs to the first floor and walked straight to the exit. He sat under the tree in from of the eatery. He indulged his head with thoughts of Encantasia, his King Father, and the Queen. He also recalled about his Princess Sister.