Chapter 9: Seeing Double

The goddess Aman-Sinaya flew back to the Island of Fog. She walked around the island, the former paradise is now in ruins. She feels the agony of her Blesseds during the time of their destruction with each step. She couldn't help the river of tears flowing down from her eyes.

She continued walking until she reached the hill where the creatures close to her heart lies. She stared at the piece of wood sticking out of the ground, touching each engraved letters.

"My beloveds, forgive me... You didn't even witness the beauty of the world outside this island. I didn't want all of these to happen." she whispered as she stared at the wooden slab. She released a sigh. Her feelings suddenly changed when a thought passed by her mind.

"Who erected this slab here? If it's Bathala who did all of these, he wouldn't leave a mark like this." she thought.

"Could it be..." her face and her mind glowed with hope, "...one of them is still alive?"

"I will look for him, I can feel one of my creations is still alive." she gladly said to herself as she flew away from the island to start looking for the survivor.

---==O==---

"Roan." a call for her name woke her up from her deep slumber.

"It's you, Mutya. Good morning." Roan said smiling while she yawns and rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"I'm happy to see you again, Roan." the anggitay replied with a smile as well, "How was your sleep?"

"It was great. Thanks." Roan looked around the area, "Where's your brother? And Ben?" she asked when she noticed they were alone under the balete tree where they had a battle before.

"You really wouldn't see them when the sun is up, they hit the sack before dawn breaks." Mutya explained to her.

Roan just nodded. She understands that most mystical beings are nocturnal, kapres and tikbalangs are not an exception. She took her tiny purse and took out the scroll she got from the old witch's house. She unscrolled it and memorized the ancient writings and the hand gesture instructions.

"That's a magick scroll, isn't it?"

Again, Roan just nodded as a response.

"Why are you looking for magic spells?" Mutya asked calmly.

After Roan memorized what is written on the scroll, she created a small fireball on her hand and burned it. She laid it on the ground and watched it burn to ashes. "I want to be stronger." she replied then turned to look at Mutya.

"For what reason?"

Roan didn't respond. Instead, she just looked away from the anggitay and stared beyond nowhere.

Mutya lets out a sigh. She wanted to know her reasons but she could feel that Roan doesn't want to talk about it. She just looked at Roan's face then she noticed the abanico hanging on Roan's right wrist, "Is that fan yours?" she asked

---==O==---

"Ina, do I really have to read all of these? We can't even get out of this island, why would I need to know everything written in these, what for?" an annoyed young girl asked her mother while holding a number of thick books her mother handed to her. Ever since she learned how to read, her mother just gives her books.

Her mother chuckled. "Someday we will be allowed to go out of this island. When that day comes, we won't be innocent about the world outside. Besides, you will learn a lot of things, you can visit a lot of places, you can understand a lot of languages, and you can get to know a lot of people, all of that just by reading books." she explained.