Chapter 16: The Plague

"Learn to switch at the right time!" Dancho threw a stone at a speed of a blink of an eye.

Lawrence was hit with the stone right between his brows, knocking him down. The young man was training with his twin sister, Lawrice. They are trying to master switching over to respond in a tight situation. Here, Lawrence has to switch with Lawrice before the stone hits him, then Lawrice has to erect a barrier to deflect the stone.

"Tsk! You're too slow!" Dancho barked at him. "What if that's a dagger... or a javelin? You're dead meat by now. A split second delay may mean life or death for the two of you! You fill your head with anxiety that's why you fail."

"I'm sorry, master." Lawrence sighed while rubbing his throbbing forehead. He understands exactly what Dancho is trying to say, but he can't help but worry for Lawrice. He's thinking that if he switched with Lawrice in controlling his body, it might be too late for her to react, ending up being hurt by the stone flung by Dancho.

"You have to take full advantage of what they call 'flight and fight response', it grants a temporary boost in strength and speed. Your mind is clouded by doubt, set aside your anxiety and be alert!"

"He's right, don't worry about me, kuya." Lawrice said in his head.

"Let's start again, ready!" Dancho picked another stone from the ground and threw it to Lawrence.

The stone was halfway when Lawrence successfully switched with Lawrice, Lawrice then concentrated her spiritual energy but it's a little bit too late. The stone was an inch before hitting her when Dancho appeared and stopped the stone with his palm.

"No fair!" Lawrence shouted angrily. "Why did he stop it from hitting you while when it comes to me he just let my head swell in pain?!"

"T-Thank you..." said Lawrice.

"Anything for you, dear." Dancho said sweetly. "Now get your stinking brother out."

"Alright." Said Lawrice then she switched with Lawrence.

"Let's start over again!" Shouted Dancho when he felt Lawrence is in control of his body. He flash stepped to a different position then he throws the stone to him.

Lawrence was surprised, but he managed to switch with Lawrice. She quickly waved her hand from left to right and shouted,

"Disaeptum!!"

A barrier of light was erected, deflecting the stone.

"Good. Lawrice, you are a fast learner! You brother should learn from you." Dancho clapped his hand slowly while showing a perfect set of teeth. "Now let's do a combo."

"A combo?" Lawrice asked. "You mean switching back with Lawrence?"

"Yes, my dear. After creating a barrier to protect your brother, you have to switch with him so he can attack. The barrier will last long enough to protect him for a few seconds while you are inactive." He explained. "Now switch him back so we can start from the top."

Dancho used flash step to go to a different angle then he threw a stone at Lawrence. Lawrence quickly switched with Lawrice who erected a barrier then switching back with Lawrence. Dancho flash stepped to another place then threw another stone, Lawrence brandished his spear, sending the stone back to Dancho who flash stepped to another location, dodging the stone. He flings another stone at Lawrence who switched with Laurice again to create a barrier to deflect it then switched back to Lawrence. They continued to do this over and over again.

---==O==---

Roan left the marketplace and went to the village at the foot of the mountain of Suko beside the rice fields. The first thing that Roan noticed was how simple the people of this village is, contrary to what the people in the marketplace are. It seems that the people here are not materialistic at all.