Chapter 22: The One-Eyed Lover

The church tower rang its bell to warn the people of Pampang to evacuate to their sanctuary. All of the guards were in their designated positions, just waiting for the enemies make their move. Lei's anxiousness grows every minute that passed. Being at the top of one of the castle towers, she can clearly see the number of pintados on standby at the border, compared to the guards of Pampang, they are totally outnumbered.

"This does not look good." Said Alexander who was beside her.

"I'm afraid you are correct. But I trust my men and the princess' inventions. We may be outnumbered but I assure you that they cannot penetrate our defense easily." Lei responded with pride... though she said these words to encourage herself.

"I hope you are right. But do not worry, we will do everything that we can." Lawrence gave Alexander a nod then he jumped down from the tower. Alexander followed him and they made their way to one of the entrances of the capital town to wait for the enemies there.

---==O==---

It's already past noon when Roan and Noiram reached the place where Minggan lives and they were not disappointed when they saw him there sitting while roasting a wild boar. They are still meters away but his not-so-pleasing scent lingers all over the place, it's so intense it feels like a blade is cutting through their nostrils. Roan couldn't help but think how long has it been since he last took a bath. Noiram, on the other hand, felt scared seeing the form of the giant.

They slowly approached the giant. The only clothing he's wearing is a piece of rope around his waist where a piece of leather hangs in front that covers his modesty. He is huge and has a nice and muscular body. His hair is long and messed up, his skin is dark-tanned covered by curly hair all over. His left eye is closed, probably it's damaged, but they can see his attractive chestnut brown right eye between his long lashes under his nice bushy brows. In the middle of his square-shaped face sits a nicely pointy nose, but it's a little too wide and his nostrils are a bit too big with hair poking out. Some dried leaves can be seen on his messy mustache and long beard along his manly jaw.

"Good afternoon. I am Roan, a traveler. And this is my friend bard, Noiram. Are you the guardian named Minggan?" Roan asked politely.

The giant turned and looked at them. "I am. What is it that you want from my mountain?" he asked with his deep and scary voice that made Noiram's knees tremble.

"Someone has told me that you are keeping some gemstones. I would like to ask for one... if you would allow me." Though she's feeling fear deep in her heart, she still managed to look calm and sound polite.

The giant stood up and held his club which is as long and as thick as a coconut tree trunk. He walked towards Roan that made the ground shake on each step he made. The two visitors to the mountains almost lost their balance because of the mild earthquakes. He stopped right in front of the two and spoke, "What is the reason why would I give you the gemstone that you wanted?"

"I'll help you in return. If you give me one of the gemstones, I will help you woo the beautiful diwata who lives in the nearby mountain." Roan responded with a forced smile on her face, trying to keep her fear from showing.

The giant's face suddenly widens. Roan noticed that even though his form is scary, a little makeover can make a big difference. "R-Really?! You can really help me with Maria Sinukuan?!" he asked with full of excitement.

Roan flipped her long, golden hair and showed him a sweet smile across her lips. "Definitely! I'm a woman too, I know how to make ladies like myself fall for a man wooing us." She replied with confidence.

Minggan smiled ear to ear when he heard this. He looked at Noiram who was beside Roan and it seems to him that the bard was like an obedient lover that is why he was totally convinced by Roan's words. "A-Alright, I accept!" he responded with great enthusiasm with what Roan offered him, thinking that with the help of this beautiful lady, he can finally have his beloved Maria Sinukuan's hand.