Chapter 7. Victor

Back at the weekend...

A black limousine travels the streets of Charleston at night. Inside is a driver and a family composed of a father, a mother and a son.

"Victor, we will arrive in the theater in another 10 minutes. Try to act like a gentleman and don't let me and your mother down." Victor's father says, while looking out the window, admiring a group of scantily clad women walking on the street. His wife sat impassively beside him, looking at her cellphone and ignoring her surroundings.

"Yes, father." Victor answers with his face blank of whatever emotion.

"You know what your music selection for tonight is. Don't make mistakes."

"Yes, father."

"After today you will still have three more concerts to do this month."

Frowning slightly in displeasure Victor made the mistake of asking. "More concerts, father?"

Turning around sharply to look at his one and only son, from where he was sitting in the limousine, he answers "Are you questioning me, you little shit? Don't forget that I am your father and whatever I say is the law!"

Shrinking back from the anger and curses directed at him Victor simply answered "As you wish, father."

Turning his attention outside again Victor's dad mutters "I don't know why you dislike these events so much, they bring in the girls."

Choosing to ignore his father's musings Victor looks down at his hands and try to remember the melody notes that were running through his mind a few weeks ago. He sometimes could hear a new song forming in his mind, and he enjoyed composing, but it was becoming harder to hear those notes. It's like the fountain where they came from was drying.

Arriving at the theater he pastes on a fake smile on his face and starts greeting the crowd with all the false delight and aplomb that he could muster. Barely ten minutes later and he is already feeling emotionally exhausted from all the socializing and drama.

This is going to be a long night...

......

Monday morning...

Sitting down beside his friends in the courtyard that morning before the beginning of their classes, Victor stays quiet, distracted, until the contents of their conversation attracts his attention. Turning to Kota he asks. "What do you mean you were found in the middle of a brawl with Nathan by a little girl and then rescued from the school doctor by another guy?"

Looking at his friend sheepishly he answers. "Me and Nathan lost our tempers with each other and were caught."

This was something that was occurring more frequently, these outbursts of violence coming from the normally quiet boys. Victor knew that as leader of this group it was his job to fix the situation. The mantle of leadership settled heavy on his shoulder, he hated it but he would carry it for his friends. They didn't know it but they were one of the very few good things in his life. He needed them around and he needed them to be happy and safe.

He wasn't good at this. Actually he wasn't good at many things, his use resumed in playing the piano for his parents, making money and trying to lead his friends. But there was very little aside from money and advice that he could offer them. He couldn't even ensure that they were safe at their homes. He was so useless. His father said it all the time and he was completely right.

And now there was this new treat to consider.

Who exactly were these kids, and what did they want with them?