Chapter 8. Kota

Sitting down behind Dr. Roberts' table in the school's infirmary, Owen eyed his accomplices. Phillip was sitting quietly on the other side while checking his phone and Sean was beside him, eating a plate of apple pie with vigor.

Calling for their attention he started the meeting, "Dr. Roberts, do you have any news to report?"

Putting his phone back in his pocket he started reporting "Of course, Owen. All the background checks that you've requested have arrived, both on Miss Sang Sorenson..." Finally we know her full name... "...and on the boys." He concluded looking pretty grim.

"And what are the results?"

"Well, starting by the boys, they are all suffering a form of abuse in their homes, which the Academy is being adamant in fixing. According to school records they are all grade A students with a lot of potential. We have orders to handle their families ASAP and bring them in if possible. They are not the priority thought. The academy is more worried about Miss Sorenson. We've found out that the girl is a ghost, boys. Aside from school records there is no other register about her."

The boys are stunned. None of them expected this. Owen couldn't decide if this new development was good or bad. In a manner, the fact that she was a ghost would be a great asset if she remained in his team because she would be called on missions that earned more favors'. On the other hand, however, these missions were the sort that had a raised risk, which was why the academy needed someone who couldn't be traced to handle them. Then there was the fact that it would be incredibly hard to convince the academy that she should stay with him and his family, for they would want to put her in a bird team.

One thing he knew for sure is that the academy's idea of priority wouldn't go well with her. That girl would want that the boys' problems to be sorted out before her own. She hadn't said as much yet, but Owen could see it in her eyes.

"We will need to consider the situation carefully and talk with Miss Sorenson before we make a move." He tells them. Asset or not he would do what she wished. If Sang wanted to get in the Academy he would help her, if not he would still do his best to help her get away from her family. She wasn't his mother and he wasn't a helpless little boy anymore, he would be able to help this time. "What about you, Sean?"

"The bullies that were causing trouble have been taken care of. A little visit from our Russian friend has convinced them that changing schools and dropping their bullying tendencies were the only way to stay alive." Sean reported with great amusement.

"Very well. As for my part, I've spoken with Miss Sorenson and she has expressed the need to help the boys. She wants them all out of danger. Also, she admitted to eavesdropping on our conversations here in the infirmary and is aware of what we are and can do."

Both Sean and Phillip laughed at this, "That girl is smart Owen; she is going to give us a run for our money." Said the good doctor.

"Of course she is, Doc! Our Pookie is definitely academy material." Sean said proudly.

"So she is, gentlemen. But this isn't the time to sing Miss Sorenson praises. We still have a plan to devise. I doubt she will accept academy help until the boys are all sorted out so we must start by them. Let's us begin in the planning."

......

Tuesday morning...

Watching Dakota Jameson Lee cross the courtyard with his friends following behind, Sang can't help but think that he is the true leader of that group. Most people would look at him and see only a nerd guy. They would have missed the way he always stood upright, shoulders back with a cool confidence. Sang knew for a fact that he suffered abuse at home, but it didn't beat him down. It made him stronger.