Chapter 44. The end

As the day went on the boys seemed to relax a little more. Luke wasn't worried anymore and the others had accepted my joining the academy long ago.

Other teams had started to arrive before I went to talk with Luke that afternoon, and now, at dinner time we all gathered at the beach to enjoy the night breeze, meet new people and eat good food.

The boys never left me alone, for which I was grateful. Meeting new people wasn't really my thing and I preferred to hide behind them sometimes.

They knew how hard it was to me and were constantly looking at me, their eyes asking if I was fine or wanted a break, one of them was always by my side, with an arm wrapped around my body or a hand holding mine.

They were also being sweet, making sure to mention how beautiful I looked in the dress that Meanie had put me on and giving kisses in the cheeks or forehead whenever they could.

I could tell some of the other girls were staring at me in jealousy. Most of them didn't approach me, really.

Roxanne and Charlene had arrived with the girl right after me and the guys had. They all had spent a little of time in our cabin, talking and playing before leaving to meet with other teams.

The Toma team was here too and stayed a lot around my boys, mixing in with them.

I hadn't really spoken with them yet. We exchanged a few words, but mostly they stayed at the edges of our group, only talking with the boys.

I wondered why they kept staring at me though. It didn't bother me because I could see nothing malicious in their stares. But it was strange.

It was almost like they were studying me. Searching for something.

The three council members we had met earlier had called the new recruits by name that evening, to introduce them, but strangely they never called me, or Silas or North.

Phil had said that was because they already considered our situation taken care of.

I was glad for it. It meant that all I needed to do now was enjoy the week with my boys. There would be no confrontation with the academy for my right to remain with the family I choose and loved.

"Darling," Owen's voice, whispered at my ear brought me out of my thoughts. "A penny for your thoughts?" he asked.

I smiled at him in amusement. As if he needed a penny. He could read my every thought in my face.

His wry smile proved that he understood what I was thinking. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

I nodded my head, taking his proffered arm.

We walked down the beach, away from all the noisy and festivities going on behind us.

The waves were crashing at my feet and I twisted my toes, digging them in the wet sand, enjoying the feel in my skin.

"Your old friends have found another bird group that seems to interest them." He said after a while.

I looked up at him. His hair was windblown, his gray eyes watching the ocean. He was dressed in slacks, with the pant leg rolled up to his knees displaying strong calves and his bare feet. His white shirt was untucked, the sleeves were rolled to his elbow and a few buttons were open in a way that resembled Luke.

This was the most relaxed and disheveled I had ever seen him. But then, I guess there was no way he could wear a suit to the beach without looking strange, or he would have.

He turned his head to stare at me and I realized I had been checking him out and never responded to his comment.

I blushed and tried to raise my hand to my lips but he caught it and interlaced our fingers together. "Everything alright, Darling?" he asked, his voice faintly amused.