Chapter 17. Nathan

The next day started cold and cloudy.

Phillip, who was comfortably tucked under his blankets didn't feel like moving from his bed but the enticing smell of coffee and bacon wafting upstairs had him rolling out of his bed, groaning at the feel of his feet hitting the cold, linoleum floor.

Walking to his bathroom he took a quick shower and shaved before dressing in comfortable clothes and going downstairs.

On his kitchen, wearing a too big apron was little Sang. She was working busily from one side to the other, doing a great many tasks at the same time. Cooking the bacon, grilling the cheese, heating the water, preparing the table, making some orange juice... he never understood how some people could do that. He needed to do a thing at a time or his bacon would end up burned, his juice spilled on the floor and his forgotten kettle completely dry and about to burn.

He'd thought she hadn't noticed his presence as he hadn't made a single noise, but she suddenly turned around with a mug in her hand and a smiled in her face that lit up the space. She reminded him of his little granddaughter, Lilly, who was all smiles and sunshine.

"Good morning, Dr. Roberts." She said while handing him the mug of hot coffee.

"Good morning, little one." He answered with a cheer that was uncommon for him in the mornings. He'd thought that once she met her boys again they would make her move in with one of them immediately, which had made him feel a little sad, but when he'd come home from work that afternoon, after talking with Kota, he'd found her in his kitchen, much like she was now, preparing dinner while humming softly.

Sitting at his place on the table when he realized there was nothing left for him to do to help with breakfast, he waited until she sat down and served herself before putting the food in his own plate. His wife had trained him well, after all.

"So, how was your sleep?" He asked this knowing that she had nightmares rather regularly. He'd tried to convince her to take sleeping pills, but the stubborn girl refused to take "unnecessary" medicine.

Taking a sip of her juice before answering she said in a quiet and hesitant voice, "I had another nightmare. But it was okay. I am used to them by now."

She hadn't looked up from her plate even once while saying this and he knew there was at least one lie in that sentence. He would bet it was the "it's okay" part. How could anyone be okay with having nightmares?

Frowning at his coffee, he put his mug down so he could focus on her. He paused for a little before saying, "Little one, maybe a therapist would be able to help you with that."

"I'm fine. Besides I don't like talking with strangers about my own problems. Don't worry Doc. I will fix myself soon enough." She said stubbornly, picking at her breakfast.

Sighing I repeated the same thing I had told her the day before, while they dinned. "At least tell the boys. I know you didn't have any nightmares when you stayed with Kota. They would love to help you, sweetie."

Once again her answer was just a mumbled "We will see." before she started playing with her food.

Like I said, stubborn...

I understood her need for independency. She'd always had only herself to depend upon, and had done a better job of it than many parents would, but those boys were dying to help her. Hell, I was dying to help her. I could never stand seeing a child hurting and this one, who I had failed before, pulled at my heart strings like no other. He wondered if some day she would let him baby her like a proper father should.