Chapter 15. Silas

"My poem was about hidden hearts being everywhere in the world, and a little girl who was the only one who could see them. Her parents thought she was crazy, and they locked her up in an asylum. She was released only when she promised never to talk about hidden hearts again."

......

Sitting at the table, enjoying her delicious lunch, Sang began to contemplate how her life was different now that she was free.

The most striking difference being that instead of being surrounded by girls, as she was in hell, here she was surrounded by boys.

And the sense of security it brought her was incredible.

Even the huge, dark, and gruff North Taylor made her feel safer.

Her thoughts were brought to a halt when Owen's quiet but commanding voice attracted her attention.

"Darling, I know that you've been through a lot but I'd like to know if you are still interested in joining the academy." He asked, having already finished his lunch. Looking around the table I see that all the guys have finished with their food already. Pushing my own plate away since I wasn't hungry anymore I turned my attention to him preparing my answer, but before I could answer, however, a very panicked looking Luke starts to protest. "What? She can't! We can't lose her now!"

Snapping my head in his direction I ask. "Lose me? What do you mean by lose me?"

Before Luke could answer Owen steals my attention again by saying. "You are a ghost Sang. There is no register of your existence at all. That makes you very valuable for the Academy. They would want you to join a team of their choosing."

I take a moment to think about process this. When I look back at the boys I see different emotions on their faces.

Luke looks scared and when he catches my eye he sends me a pleading glance, as if asking me not to leave him. North is scowling but his eyes show confusion and worry. Sean is smiling at me with a hopeful expression; his eyes shine in my direction promising happiness and caring.

Owen is the hardest one to read, his face completely expressionless, but she could see the emotions swirling in his steel grey eyes. He felt unsure. About what she didn't know, but something was bothering him.

"I've known for a long time that I was a ghost. It is something that I have used to my advantage before and I can see why the academy would be interested in recruiting a ghost member. What I don't understand is why they would want me to join a team that they choose. Family is a choice, one that I must do."

Not looking surprised at my revelation that I was aware of my ghost status Owen said, "It's true, family is a choice and the academy will not choose for you. But they will try to convince you by whatever means they can find. They will send their chosen members to befriend you, they will offer favors as bribes, and they will do whatever they can to have you join the academy under their terms."

Thinking about this for a moment I tell him. "No. I am done living my life by other people's terms. I am tired of having to adapt myself to the wishes of those who were supposed to protect me. If the academy wants a ghost in their ranks they better understand that I am joining in my terms."

The look of respect in guys faces made me feel like I was in the cloud nine.

"Wait, does it mean that, with her ghost status, she would be required to take on illegal and possibly dangerous missions?" North asks while glaring at Mr. Blackbourne.

"Not all of the missions will have the potential to be dangerous Mr. Taylor Jr. and we will never let her go alone. At least not if she is in our team."