Chapter 42. Girls

"Anyway, sweetie." Charlene interrupted mine and Owen's conversation, "Me and dear Roxanne here came to speak with you."

I turned my attention to them, curious to know what these funny older women might want with me.

I knew I had never met them before, I was sure I would remember them if I had...

"Yes?" I asked, my voice sounding quiet and shy.

Charlene smiled kindly at me before shooing the boys out of her way so she could move closer to me.

"I know a trio of birds that might be of interest to you." she "whispered" to me.

My eyebrows rose to the top of my head. With those simple words Charlene had assured me of a few things, one was that, indeed, the girls were in Charleston, and two was that these old grandmas were Academy.

I had suspected as much since they were at the dinner at such a late hour and none of the boys were bothered by their presence in the cramped office, but the confirmation still came as a bit of a shock.

"Excuse me?" I sputtered at her a little.

They nodded their colorful heads at me, polite smiles in their faces.

"Oh, yes," Added Roxanne. "You would really want to meet with them."

Seriously? Was it really going to be this easy?

"Oh?" Was all I could manage at the moment. Thankfully Owen didn't have the same problem.

"I am sorry, ma'am, but could you please be more specific? I am afraid we don't understand who you are talking about." He was lying, I knew. There no doubt that they were talking about my old friends.

Roxanne clucked her tongue at Owen and gave him a wink, "Of course, my Mr. Pretty Perfect."

I almost snorted at the look on Owen's face at the nickname. Sean was struggling to contain his giggles.

"But first, let's close that lovely door over there." Charlene ordered, sending a look at Brandon, who was standing closest to the doorway at the moment.

The boy turned around and closed the door, locking it behind himself.

Turning their attention back to us, all the boys stood in silent attention as the grannies started talking. "A few months ago we met a trio of younger girls living alone in New York, on the suburbs."

"They managed to stay out of the Academy's radar for quite a long time, but when they became involved in mine and Roxanne's mission we became aware of them." Charlene was saying, a serious look that didn't fit her persona on her face.

"We've been following them since, and thought it took us a lot of time, we found out about their time in Hell and about you." Added Roxanne, a look of respect flitted through her eyes as she stared at me and I blushed under her regard.

Owen's hand at my hip gave a little squeeze and I melted against his hard frame.

"You girls did very well at burning your trail and leaving no signs of your existence behind. But you must understand that people talk, and you, Sang, attracted a lot of attention on that school." Said Charlene.

I frowned at her, I had thought of myself as invisible in that place. I didn't really talk with anyone aside from the three girls who I had befriended, after all.

I did go out of my way to help the others a lot, but I did so discretely. I never thought people had taken notice of my interfering.

Charlene smiled at me, as if she could read my thoughts and found them amusing.