Chapter 20

-Im coming over in 20 mins

Josh read the message on his lock screen as his phone buzzed.

-I want to talk
-dont be scared

Two more popped up. All three were from Freya. Josh sighed completely unexcited. There used to a be sun shining every time Freya entered the room. Now it's a fucking tornado. Ready to rip up Josh's heart.

Still, Josh stuck around.

He didn't know what this "talk" was going to be about but he figured it was probably best to not have Riley wandering around. He turned around and saw her sitting on his bed playing on his tablet.

Josh messaged Simon on Skype to see he was available to watch Riley for a little bit. Simon instantly replied with a yes.

"Riley, honey, I'm gonna take you upstairs to hang with Simon okay?" Josh told her.

"Okay!" she chirped. Josh picked her up as she continued her game. When they got upstairs, Simon had already left the door open for them.

"Hello, I've brought miss Riley." Josh walked in.

"Riley!" Simon cheered. Riley didn't acknowledge him, she was too busy with the tablet. "I don't like that thing. It's getting more attention than me."

"Well, you've got my full attention." Josh said.

"Good. Freya huh? What does she want?" Simon said sounding salty.

"She said she wanted to talk. Don't know what about." Josh shrugged.

"Will you please just dump her ass?" Simon spat out.

"Why would I do that?" Josh asked.

"She's being a drag on your life."

"Look, you know Freya's a perfectly nice girl. There's just something going on. There's no need to randomly break up. It's fine." Josh brushed it off.

"Josh stop lying to yourself. You're clearly hurting." Simon didn't believe a single word that came out of that man's mouth.

"I'll stop 'lying' if you stop telling me what to do with my life." Josh said, biting his tongue. Simon could tell Josh was getting irritated so he backed off.

"Fine, whatever you say. I'm gonna let you do your thing, and I am going to watch Ri. Have fun." Simon closed his door. He shook his head.
~
"So what did you want to talk about Freya?" Josh asked as they sat down.

"I'm sure you know how this whole Riley thing is getting out of hand,"

"What do you mean by that?" Josh interrupted.

"You're getting really distracted by her and attached even though she is only here for a year." Freya said.

"If Riley is only here for a year, then why is this such a big deal to you?" Josh turned the tables. (Figuratively)

"It shows you're not loyal." she replied.

"YouTube doesn't get you this upset.
I'm always busy with that." Josh countered.

"At least I knew about YouTube. Plus it's your job. Look, I came here to suggest that maybe we should set aside one night, let's say Sunday, to go on dates. Or just spend time." she suggested. She was so calm and polite. The Freya Josh had come to know and love.

"I think that's a great idea and Sunday nights are perfect." Josh agreed. See Simon? Everything's okay.

"Great! So are we starting this Sunday?" Freya asked, excited.

"Next. This Sunday I already planned a Skype night with Riley and her mom, Josie." Josh explained.

"This is already off to a bad start." Freya crossed her arms and legs. Riley was once again, disrupting their plans.

"Don't be like that." Josh sighed.

"Like what?"

"All...pissy."

"Excuse me?" she snorted.

"Every time you've come around since Riley has been here, you get all short and disgusted with me." Josh told her.

"Maybe it's because I'm disgusted by the fact you never told me you had a child."

"I forgot! It was mentioned once when me and Josie broke up."

"You forgot? What kind of a father ARE YOU? But now all of the sudden she's the most precious thing to you! What? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT ME TOO NOW?!"

"I have been giving you my attention for the past four years! Don't even @ me!"

"ALL YOU DID DURING OUR ONE VACATION THIS YEAR WAS TALK ABOUT RILEY! DID YOU EVEN KNOW I WAS THERE!?"

"I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE MY DAUGHTER WAS OKAY! YOU KNOW, SOMETIMES THE BOYS FORGET TO FEED THEMSELVES LET ALONE ANOTHER HUMAN!"

"WHAT ABOUT ME? I CLEARLY WASN'T OKAY COULDN'T YOU TELL I WAS UPSET?"

"GOD YOU'RE SO PETTY!"

"Don't you EVER talk to me like that!"

"Sure, but you can treat me like trash?!"

"You don't deserve my love!"

"THEN IM DUMPING YOUR ASS! BITCH!"

Freya slapped Josh.

She grabbed all of her stuff and rushed out the door, slamming it behind her.

Josh stood there with a hand on his cheek. He clenched his fists and stomped upstairs ignoring everyone's concerns about the yelling, pushing them away.

He slammed his door behind himself.

Vik and Simon stood there in confusion and worry. They weren't clear exactly what happened and didn't see the slap. What they did know was that Josh and Freya's relationship was broken.

"Daddy? Simon what's wrong?" Riley asked tapping on his leg from behind.

"Stuff." Simon answered not really paying attention to her. He walked over to Josh's door. Vik picked up Riley to comfort the emotionally sensitive child. Simon knocked on Josh's door. "Josh?"

"Fuck off. Go away." he said emotionless. The realization of what just occurred hadn't hit him yet.

Simon didn't move. He didn't want to leave Josh alone. Even his heart felt cold and broken. Josh didn't deserve to be treated like that, he's an awesome dad who did the right thing. Simon wanted to tell him that and comfort him with a hug.

But it just wasn't the right time.