Chapter 40

Simon parks his car along the side of the neighborhood road. He gets out and walks along looking for the house. He tries to look as casual as possible considering it's the middle of the night. He sees the house he's looking for. If Josh isn't going to get Riley through words, Simon is going to take action. Lord knows what's gotten into him to make him even think this is a good idea; Simon is going to steal Riley.

Simon sneaks around the back of the one story house. He looks for the correct window that leads into a darkened room.

Simon tiptoes to Riley's window. He can see her sleeping peacefully. Well now he's gotta wake her up. He taps on the glass until she's awake. He continues tapping so she'll look his way. She sees Simon through the window and runs to it. Simon can hear her calling his name and tries to shush her. He opens the window (Allow me and my lack of logic) to take her away to his home.

"Simon!" She wraps her arms around his neck.

"Shh, Riley. There are other people sleeping." he quiets her. Simon closes the window.

"Sorry. Where are we going?" she whispers.

"Home with me." he replies. Simon looks behind

"Simon Minter." The boy with that name whips back around to see who said his name. A pissed off Josh stood there. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Kidnapping Riley."

"I love you Simon, I really do, but right about now I am disgusted. Like, I want Ri too but I'm not going to do something illegal!" Josh whisper-shouts.

"Hi, daddy." Riley waves.

"Hi sweetheart. Are you okay?" Josh asks. She nods her head. Two cop cars pull in front of Josie's house. The two boys freeze at the sound of the sirens and car doors closing. Simon shoves Riley into Josh's chest.

"Simon you're a son of a bitch. Now we're gonna get arrested!" Josh hisses. He passes Riley back to Simon. Simon gives Riley to Josh again. They keep passing her back and forth like a hot potato. Two cops come around the back. Another figure comes up behind them.

"Josh?! Simon?! What the hell you guys?!" Josie is in disbelief. They, well really just Simon, went to this length to keep Riley. That's how much they love her.

"It was all Simon! I came out here to stop him!" Josh points, backing away. A hand grabs Josh's one arm. He twists his neck to see one of the officers. Josh looks over at Simon to see him with his hands being held behind his back. Riley is over with Josie now.

"Let them go." Josie demands.

"Are you sure m'am? They did commit a crime you could take them to court."

"No it's fine. I know them and they're not criminals." Josie waves the officers off. They shrug and head on their way.

"Surprise! It's just a prank!" Simon bants. Josie and Josh ignore him. Josie hands Riley back to Simon and walks off with Josh so they can talk.

"God, why did I let you fuck me?" Josie contemplates. "Josh just go home please. My anxiety's been really bad lately and this isn't helping."

"I can't loose her. I need her. I lost my fucking girlfriend over this kid." Josh snaps. Josie doesn't reply. "Did you hear me? I let go of the one I was going to marry because of this child, this little person, means that much to me. I sacrificed a lot in just that one year and for what? It's going to be wasted if you take her away!"

"Josh I'm sorry. Why didn't you tell me that's what happened?"

"It doesn't matter, she was a bitch anyways. I'm with Simon now and I'm a lot happier."

"Josh we both feel the same about Riley and she's our child and we're feeling the same emotions right now. This is exactly how I felt when I left Riley with you. I see how much she means to you. I honestly don't want to steal her from you. She really loves you and I don't want to keep you away from her, I would feel so mean. I want to give her a good life and that's why she's coming with me. I don't hate you. I just really need her right now. But please, feel free to come visit whenever you and Simon want to. It's my pleasure to have you guys over and be a part of Riley's life. You're my only family."

They fall into each other's arms. They hug tightly. The feelings were mutual about this change in their lives and they want to work through this together and share their love for the small young girl.

"I'm sorry." Josie says.

"It's okay."

"No, Josh. I'm sorry." she whispers harshly. He knows what she's referring to, and fully accepts the apology.

"Thank you for letting me meet Riley."