7.Nikkah- Part Two

وَخَلَقْنَاكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا "And we have created you in pairs"

"And we have created you in pairs"

[Surah An-Naba [78] - Al-Qur'an al-Kareem - القرآن الكريم - The Noble Quran]

A line of perspiration formed on her lip as she whispered into Meeza's ear.

"Hurry up Meeza, say yes don't think too much about it" Aunty Shakila whispered into Meeza's ear. The atmosphere grew tense.

"Do what your heart tells you Meeza" Asma whispered.

Their voices echoed in her head. Two minutes had gone past without her giving her answer. Pin drop silence. Except the ticking of the clock. The Imam repeated once more.

"Do you Meeza daughter of Ahsan Kamaal accept Saahir son of Asfar Khan as your lawfully wedded husband with Haq Meher of 500,000/- rupees in your Nikkah?"

Meeza found herself in a situation where she had to say yes by all means.
It was her decision to make.
Or was it her decision?

She closed her eyes , fiddled with her fingers intertwining them and twisting her ring.

Hamza stood behind the crowd. Still surprised the girl he finally had a conversation with yesterday was getting married today. His life had taken a heavy toll once again. His heart beat in his chest as he silently waited.

"If only she would be mine" He wished.

He prayed for her to be his. But it would be selfish of him to ask for too much. He didn't deserve an exquisite and impeccable girl like Meeza he thought. She was just something else.

"Jab tak tu chahe muskuraaye
Hansti rahe sada
Dua hai meri hamesha
Tu khilti rahe

Main keh na paya ye tujhse
Tu mohabbat thi meri
Khuda se mangun yehi bas
Tu khush rahe..
Tu khush rahe..
Tu khush rahe.."
he made a silent prayer.

The tension grew intense. She was taking far too long to answer. The Imam had repeated three times already. Hamza noticed her intertwine her fingers and fiddle with her huge ring. If only she looked up at him once.

Her eyes blurred with tears as she looked and scanned for one person in the room.

There he was. Looking as tensed as ever.
He knew she was looking at him when she raised her head up. She felt she needed to know if he approved of her getting married. Maybe there was a chance?

He gave her a nod after he ensured no one was watching him.

She bent her head down after receiving his response.
She got her answer.
This was it.

Her throat felt so dry as she finally let out those mere two words that changed her life.
"Qubool hai"

They all heaved a euphoric sigh of relief on hearing her say that. The Imam repeated his question again and Meeza repeated twice.