30. The Painful Truth

"Do not lose hope, nor be sad

"Do not lose hope, nor be sad. You will surely be victorious if you are true in faith."

- Qur'an 3:139.

His right hand shook terribly so he held it with his other hand to steady it. His right hand held onto the wooden tool with great emphasis. He had a feeling he would succeed today.

Slowly he raised the omelette and flipped it over splashing oil over his left hand. He winced in pain letting go of the frying pan and cursed her one more time and passed his hand over cold water. He picked the frying pan again and the spatula.

"Now I just have to land it nicely" his tongue stuck out over his upper lip. Indeed it was a very tensed situation for someone like Saahir Khan to cook an egg.
He safely placed the egg on his plate without anymore burns and a smile lit up on his face.

"Aha! I can do this! I don't need anyone!" He yelled in triumph.

"You hear that! I don't need you Meeza! I don't need anyone!" He shouted at the top of his lungs. A beeping sound came from the oven.

"Shoot! I forgot the toast!" He burnt his hand in an attempt to remove the tray.

"Owwww" he shook his hand to stop the burning sensation then removed the tray.
The brown toast was now blacker than black. A memory clouded his vision.

"What is this smell! I'm going to puke! I told you I hate eggs" he took all his anger out on her.

"I'm sorry Saahir I didn't know, your mom told me you loved eggs for breakfast" she explained herself but he wasn't going to listen to her was he? She was obviously bluffing, why would his mum lie pfft.

"And what is this??"
He held the toast up. Her brown sparkly eyes followed the toast. Fear was evident in her eyes. She was just too easy to read.

"Its just slightly darker, s-sorry" she apologized.

He ripped the toast in two enjoying every bit or this and tossed it back on the plate in her hand.

"Golden brown" he sputtered.

His vision blurred and he stared at the toast in his hand which had smoke emerging from it. It was as dark as his soul.
He took a bite of the toast.

"Not so bad" he shrugged.

-
Pakistan

"He has only a few days left" the doctor broke the painful news to her.

"Can I see him?"

"Yes you can"

Her feet slipped into her flipflops as the doctor called her, all she could think of was her father. She walked the long corridors with bloodshot eyes. She stopped outside his room door and peeped through the glass. He was seated upright and smiling, he looked very content. She felt relieved to see him happy. Her hands grasped the doorknob but just as she was about to open it a hand grabbed her from behind.