32. Share The Pain

Cold was the night. Meeza shifted her legs straddling them to keep her balance. She
curled her blanket around her. A blast of cold air suddenly hit her. She closed her eyes, shivering and let the wind push the swing back and forth. She reminisced about the last time she sat with her father on the swing. It was a moonlight night too. She hugged her arms around her body and pictured her father sitting next to her. Enjoying the cool breeze. As usual the thought brought the sting of tears to her eyes. It had been eight months now but she still missed him immensely beyond any words of description.

She hadn't set foot anywhere or seen Hamza since Saaleha's graduation day. Remembering that day made her feel like a total idiot. How could I have let my emotions get in my way, She told herself.

Her eyes began to drift off to sleep but
The sound of a car passing outside her house shook her. She looked below and figured it was just a bus driver.
She hadn't heard Hamza's bike yet and she wondered if he was home yet. There was no sounds coming from his house. She figured he must be working late. Not that she cared she told herself.

"Meeza? Why you still up? What are you doing on the roof at this hour?" Saaleha appeared standing by the door swinging a bottle of water in her hand.

"I came out here for a breath of fresh air" she smiled. "Come" She gestured her to join her on the swing.

"Are you kidding me? It's freezing!"

She waved her blanket in her direction. Saaleha tinkered over the yard in her thin Pajamas and flip flops.

Meeza draped the blanket over Saaleha's shoulder and both snuggled together. They looked up at the stars and a cool breeze made them shiver blowing Saaleha's hair in odd directions.

"What are you thinking of" she watched her sister intently.

"What's on your mind sis" she repeated.

"He was a great man Saaleha, I just wish he didn't go that way, I wish he told me, I wish I knew"

Saaleha sighed.
"And what good would that have been Meeza?"

"I would atleast get to tell him how much I loved him, and how much I miss him, and how cold and empty I feel without him" tears glistened in her auburn eyes.

"You can't keep doing this to yourself, I have something that can help you know, My chemistry teacher taught me how to control my pain"

"And did it help?" Meeza looked over her shoulder.

"Yes, sort of" she shrugged.
Meeza rolled her eyes at that.

I mean not completely, but yeah it does"

"Hmm"

"I don't think anything can help me"

"Okay never mind that, have you thought about it?"

"About what" she rested her head on Saaleha's shoulder and closed her eyes enjoying the breeze.

"You know who, Saahir"

Meeza's silence was the reply this time.

"You have to make your decision Meeza, You have to sign the papers"

"Why do you keep reminding me of him urgh?"

"I'm worried for you, why don't you get over and done with him?"

"So I have to stay at home for two months? not a great idea, this is my peak time Saaleha. This is when I will start working and do something for myself"

"You could always do that later after you're over him" she suggested afraid she was crossing the line.

"No I'm not going to Saaleha, I want to do something for myself first"