Chapter 4: We've All Got Baggage

"You... You have a kid?" Toby stuttered. He couldn't wrap his mind around it. What if she was married? What if she wasn't twenty-two like she said earlier? He wouldn't mind dating her if she was a little bit older, but he couldn't imagine himself being in a relationship with a married woman. It'd be one thing if she was divorced- he'd be fine with that. But if she was still married, then there would be a huge problem.

"I had a boyfriend all throughout high school," she started to explain, "and right after graduation, we did... you know... for the first time. Well, I got pregnant. We decided that it would be best if we didn't stay together. Because of our ages and, well, some other reasons. His father is still a huge part of his life. I get it if your totally freaked out by this. Most guys are."

Toby couldn't be mad at her. So what if she had a kid? He was lucky just to know her. "What's your kid's name?" He asked, grabbing onto her hand.

"Isaac. He's four." She said. Toby smiled. Maybe he wasn't ready to meet Isaac just yet, but he wouldn't leave her because of him. That would be shallow.

"I would never be freaked out by that," he said, "and I would love to meet him one day." Spencer's heart leaped. For the first time ever, she met a guy who didn't mind that she had a kid.

"He's spending the summer at his dad's house, and he's coming back in September to start school."

"Where's his dad?"

"He lives right outside of town. He drops in occasionally to visit, but nothing too crazy. We both have pretty hectic schedules."

Toby couldn't help but worry about this man. Him and Spencer were in a relationship. They could still be in love. Sure, maybe now their feelings for each other were different. But Toby worried that one day, they'll decide to get back together for Isaac, and then she'd force him out of the picture. He stopped himself from going there. He needed to trust Spencer. "I think we should both get some sleep," Toby said, kissing the top Spencer's head, "goodnight."

Spencer smiled. She turned around so that she was facing him again, and kissed his nose. "Goodnight." She said, falling asleep in his embrace.

The next morning, Spencer woke up to find Toby no longer in the bed with her. She freaked out for a quick second, praying that he wasn't gone, then felt relieved as soon as she heard the coffee maker go off in the kitchen, which was right outside the bedroom. She had been meaning to find a bigger apartment, maybe even a house, but she never got around to it.

Spencer stretched as she exited the bedroom. Toby, who was pouring coffee for the both of them, caught a glance at her. He loved waking up to her; he could definitely get used to this. "Good morning, beautiful." He said, watching her walk towards him. He loved the way she moved. So elegant, even when she just woke up.

"Good morning," she said, wrapping her arms around Toby from behind. She was much shorter than him, but her head rested perfectly on his shoulder. She could've stayed like this forever.

She kissed his cheek once, then began to kiss his neck, as it was much easier for her to reach. Her kisses on his neck felt good, but Toby knew that her lips felt even better. He turned around so that he was facing her, then lifted her up, connecting their lips for the first time since they went to sleep. He carried her to the living room, then laid her on the couch, hovering on top of her. There was just something about her that he couldn't resist. He thought that maybe it was the taste of her lips, or maybe her beautiful face.

Toby pulled away, rubbing their noses for a second. "How do you take your coffee?" He asked.

"Two sugars." Spencer said, kissing him one more time before getting up. She watched as Toby made her coffee to her liking, then handed her the mug. "I love waking up to this. Be careful, I could get used to this," she said.

"I love it, too," Toby smiled. He turned to the wall, which was covered with framed family photos. He noticed it for a brief moment the night before, as Spencer brought him to her apartment to make out, but he didn't get a close look until now. He recognized no faces, but he could tell which two people were her parents. The resemblance was definitely there. He remembered her mentioning that she didn't have any siblings, so the other people pictured must've been friends or other relatives. Toby came across one picture of Spencer kissing a baby boy on his cheek. "Is that Isaac?" Toby asked, pointing at the picture.

Spencer nodded. She guided him towards another picture of Isaac, but with a different man with short, jet black hair and a big smile. "That's his dad," she stated.

Toby felt his stomach clench. They seemed really happy in the picture together, with their son. "What made you two split up?" He asked. He tried to sound as casual as possible, but still concerned.

"Like I told you, it was the fact that we were both so young. We were only eighteen when we had him. And some other reasons," Spencer trailed off.

"Such as?" Toby asked. He didn't want to seem like he was interrogating her, but he was genuinely curious.

"Well, if we had stayed together, he wouldn't have gotten married two years later,"

"So it was because he was in love with another girl?"

"Not exactly."

"Then what?"

"Well, let's just say that Mark and his husband are very happy together."

Toby raised his eyebrows, then furrowed them. "Wait..." He said. He was too puzzled to say anything else.

"He told me he always knew, he just denied it so much. But after we had Isaac, he told me that he was gay, and I was totally fine with it. I kind of wished he told me before we had sex, but then we never would've had Isaac." Spencer explained. It felt good telling someone about all her baggage.

"So I have nothing to worry about?" Toby asked, sitting down on the couch next to Spencer.

Spencer kissed his lips once. "Absolutely nothing."