Chapter 31: Bad Guys & Bad Lies

"Where are you? He's been waiting for an hour. Please don't bail on Isaac." Spencer left Mark yet another voicemail. It was Friday night, and Mark had promised Spencer that he would take Isaac to a baseball game. Mark had gotten the tickets from a friend, and Spencer wanted him to do something with Isaac. She felt like they weren't getting enough time together.

"Mommy, where's daddy?" Isaac asked, hugging his mother's legs.

"He's on his way. There's just a lot of traffic." Spencer lied to spare her son's feelings. Spencer was really hating this current situation. Ten years ago, she was practically praying every night for Mark to fall in love with her. Now that she's gotten her wish, it wasn't at all what she had hoped.

Ten years ago, Mark was everything Spencer wanted him to be. Now, he's everything except the one thing she needed him to be. A father.

Spencer's phone rang, and she quickly answered, hoping it was Mark. It wasn't. It was Toby. For some reason, they still had each other's numbers.

"Hey, Spencer. Are you doing anything tonight?" Toby asked, "Shannon was just hoping that we could all hang out. She figured Isaac would want to spend some time with us,"

Spencer looked down at the three tickets she was holding. One for Mark, one for Isaac, and one for her. "Actually, that sounds great. I know exactly what we could do."

-

"Are you sure you don't want to go? I mean, I have no trouble staying home tonight." Shannon asked, grabbing her coat, about to head out with Toby and Isaac to the baseball game.

"No, I'm fine. I'll just stay in and finish up some work." Spencer assured her. Isaac needed this special bonding time, and she figured that Mark clearly didn't want the same thing.

"Thanks for doing this. I know Isaac really needs it," Spencer whispered to Toby, pulling him aside.

"Of course," Toby said, "I'll have him home before ten."

"Bye mommy!" Isaac said, hugging his mother's legs.

"Bye, honey. Be good, I'll see you later tonight,"

-

Mark came home at seven thirty. The baseball game started at five. He didn't even make an effort to make it home on time.

Spencer was working in the living room when Mark returned home. "Where the hell have you been?"

"Traffic was absolutely awful, baby. I'm sorry-"

"Bullshit," Spencer said, "you knew that Isaac was excited for the game and you deliberately blew him off. How could you do something like that to your own son?"

"Spencer, I'm sorry. I wasn't up for it and-"

"Then you call. You actually tell me. That was just completely immature and unnecessary."

"I'm sor-"

Spencer cut Mark off one last time. "You shouldn't be apologizing to me. You should be apologizing to Isaac. Find somewhere else to sleep tonight."

-

Toby, Shannon, and a sleeping Isaac entered the practically empty house. The only living soul in the house was Spencer, waiting up for the trio.

"How was it?" Spencer asked quietly, trying not to wake up her sleeping child, who was being carried by Toby.

"Isaac had a blast. He almost caught a foul," he said, handing the sleeping child over to Spencer.

Spencer took her son to the couch, letting him sleep there until she was ready to take him up to his room.

"I'll wait in the car," Shannon whispered to Toby, kissing his cheek.

"Is Mark here?" Toby asked after Shannon left.

"No. I mean, he was, but I kicked him out."

"What? Why?" Toby asked, shocked.

"He was supposed to go to the game with Isaac. Be bailed, and he's been doing this for months now,"

Toby thought for a second. He ran his hand through Spencer's hair, something he knew she liked. "Hey, whatever happens between you two, I'm always here to talk."

Spencer flashed him a small smile. She had secretly hoped that he would lean in and kiss her, but he didn't.

And she feared he never would again.