Chapter 40: Whatever You Need

one week later

"I'm so glad they're gone," Spencer said to her boyfriend the night after her parents left. She loved her parents, but that love gets tested after being with someone all day, every day for a week.

The two were close together in bed, talking and reading like they would every night. Though it was late, it was Spencer's favorite part of the day. She loved hearing about Toby's day, even if she was exhausted and worn out.

"How's Mark doing?" Toby asked. He had not heard from Mark since he stopped him from killing himself, and it worried him. He told Spencer everything, and she gave Mark one last chance. After only a week, Mark showed incredible progress. He had Isaac for the week, and every night when Spencer called him to say goodnight to Isaac, they both seemed happy.

"Good. I called him about an hour ago. It was another really good day."

"That's great," Toby said, kissing the top of Spencer's head. Suddenly, Toby's phone began to ring. He didn't recognize the number, so he felt hesitant to answer.

"Go ahead, I'll wait here." Spencer said.

Toby got up, leaving the room to answer the phone. Spencer texted Hanna, who had finally found her own place. She got a job for a local boutique, and expressed to Spencer how much she loved it. She got to design and sell some of her own work, which made her the happiest of all.

Toby came back in after a few minutes, looking distraught. "Is everything okay?" Spencer asked.

Toby shook his head. "Jon and Rebecca were in a really bad car accident. The doctors don't think they're going to make it."

Within a few minutes, Toby was lying next to Spencer, only this time he was crying. He didn't want to lose his brother, not when they had been closer than ever.

---

"They're both still in surgery," a nurse informed Spencer and Toby once they came in.

"Are they going to be okay?" Spencer asked. Deep down, she knew Toby feared the answer, so she asked for him.

"In all honesty, it's not looking good. Their car flipped and landed face-down in a ditch. If they make it out alright, it will be a miracle,"

Spencer looked over at Toby. He was in disbelief. He rubbed his eyes, making sure this wasn't just a sick, sick nightmare. He backtracked a bit, finding the first available chair and sitting in it with his head in his hands. Spencer sat next to him, rubbing his back and holding onto his arm. "They're going to be okay, Toby. I can feel it,"

Suddenly, as if there had been an even bigger emergency, Toby got up, looking frightened. His eyes were wide and he looked panicked.

"Toby?" Spencer asked, watching her boyfriend frantically chase down the nurse he had just talked to.

"Excuse me," Toby said, breathing heavily and getting the nurse's attention, "they have two daughters. Two girls, one of them is a baby. Were they-" Toby needed to finish his question, but he couldn't, because he feared the answer.

"No, they weren't in the vehicle." The nurse assured him, causing Toby to sigh in relief. "They were being taken care of by their nanny. She's on her way with them, they should be here shortly."

"Thank you," Toby said, still hurt but slightly relieved. There was no way that a four-year-old and a newborn baby could've survived that crash. Toby was grateful that they were okay. He returned to Spencer, resting his head on her shoulder. "Maria and Ana weren't in the car. They're okay."

"Good," Spencer said, "thank god."

"They said that they're on their way with the nanny. Do you mind if they stay with us for the time being? I don't want to keep Gloria with them any longer than they already have. She needs a break,"

"Of course." Spencer said, "Toby, whatever you need right now, I'll be right here. I promise. Maria will sleep in Isaac's room. I'm sure he won't mind the guest room. And Ana will sleep with us."

"Thank you," Toby said, leaning over and kissing Spencer.

They were both terrified about what was going to happen. They wanted that miracle to happen. They wanted Jonathan and Rebecca to be okay.

"Cavanaugh?" A doctor called, emerging from the surgery room.

Surprised, Toby got up. "That's my brother and his wife," he said.

"We're so sorry. Your brother lost a fatal amount of blood. We did everything we could, but we couldn't revive him."