Chapter 33: The Last Straw

The last few days had been a huge improvement for Spencer, Mark, and Isaac. Mark became more active in Isaac's life. He was there to take him to school and back, help with homework, he even chaperoned for a field trip Isaac's class took to the zoo. Spencer was beyond impressed with him, and it actually gave her hope for their future as a family.

"Promise me you'll be home before ten," Spencer said to Mark as he was about to leave. Mark had explained to Spencer that he had a meeting he couldn't get out of, no matter how hard he tried. Spencer didn't mind, though.

"I promise," Mark said, anticipating a kiss from Spencer. When she didn't lean in, he was slightly disappointed, though he knew she still needed time.

Spencer led Mark out the door and watched him pull out of the driveway, waving goodbye. This was her first night alone with Isaac in nearly a month. She wanted to call Hanna and catch up, but she figured that Hanna would either be completely distracted or wouldn't answer at all, since that seemed to be what their friendship consisted of now.

The rest of the evening went smoothly; Spencer made dinner and left some for Mark for when he came home, Isaac completed his homework with ease, and soon Spencer was tucking her seven-year-old son in for bed. "Goodnight, sweetie," Spencer said and kissed what once was a terrifying wound but was now a barely noticeable scar on Isaac's forehead.

"Goodnight, mommy." Isaac said, closing his eyes to sleep.

Once she was in her room, Spencer finally got out of her clothes and into some pajamas, then made her way back downstairs to continue grading her students' papers. She didn't mind all the work that came with teaching at the high school level; in fact, she loved it. Her students were all sweet to her, which surprised her, as she suspected that they would make fun of her for being a teen mother.

There was a knock at the door. Spencer looked over at the coffee table, seeing a set of keys and automatically knowing Mark had forgotten his keys to the house. She laughed to herself and got up, ready to ask how the meeting went and ready to apologize for shutting him out for nearly a month.

Once she opened the door, Spencer was greeted by Mark in a pair of handcuffs, with a middle-aged male police officer holding him still.

"Are you Spencer Hastings?" the police officer asked, tightly holding onto Mark.

"Yes," Spencer asked, glaring at Mark.

"Your boyfriend here was caught in possession of prescription drugs with intent to distribute. Now there wasn't enough for it to be considered a felony, so we're letting him off with a warning-"

"Thank you. Goodnight," Spencer said, grabbing Mark's forearm and yanking him away from the cop ad into the house.

She wasn't mad. She was beyond mad. She was beyond furious. Words couldn't describe the anger Spencer felt towards Mark. She slammed the door and brought him into the living room.

"What the hell?" Spencer said, crossing her arms and glaring at Mark. This was unforgivable. This was unacceptable.

"Spence-" Mark said, placing his now free hand on Spencer's shoulder.

"No, don't 'Spence' me," Spencer said, pushing his hand off of her, "Are you out of your fucking mind? Drugs, really? Do you have any idea what you're doing? You have a kid, and you're in law school. This could destroy your life beyond repair." Spencer scolded. She felt herself getting angrier and more heated as she spoke. All she could do was yell at him and see his reaction.

Spencer's words had gone in one year and out the other for Mark. "I can't find any other way to pay for law school, Spencer. I need to support you and Isaac-"

"Bullshit," Spencer interrupted, "you don't care about me or Isaac. If you did, you wouldn't have done this. If you needed money so badly, you should've told me, or got a part-time job." She was yelling at this point. She was so infuriated that her face was red, and she was trying with all her might not to slap him across the face. She didn't swear often, and when she did, she was livid.

"I can't provide for a kid and pay for law school if I'm flipping burgers or bagging groceries!" Mark yelled.

"Momma?" They heard a tiny voice say from the top of the stairs. Spencer turned her head in fear. Isaac had heard everything. From her swearing to her accusing Mark of not caring about their child.

Spencer quickly turned her head in the opposite direction, hoping Isaac didn't catch the tears in her eyes or her face that was red with what was once anger, but was now embarrassment. "Daddy and I are just talking," she said, "go back to bed."

"I can't sleep," Isaac said, "you guys are yelling at each other,"

Spencer sheepishly took the seven-year-old back to his room, explaining to him that everything was going to be okay, and that there was nothing to worry about.

When she arrived back to the living room, she saw Mark, waiting for her on the couch. "You can't stay here anymore. Please leave. Now." She said, her voice low, and avoiding eye contact with Mark.

"Spencer, we can work through this-" Mark pleaded.

"I said now."

Spencer watched as Mark walked out the door, and for the first time, she didn't care if he never came back.