Chapter 28: A Fight To Remember

"Are you sure you're ready?" Toby asked Spencer, gently holding onto her and not wanting to let go. The couple had decided that now would be the perfect time for them to finally make love. They stood there, at the edge of their shared bed, in each other's embrace. No clothes had been removed yet.

"Before we do this, there's something I want to tell you. But please don't be upset." Spencer said, lowering her head to where she wasn't making eye contact with her now fiancé.

"What?" Toby asked, endless scenarios going through his mind. Did something bad happen to her? He couldn't stand the idea of her getting hurt.

"When you were gone, on deployment," Spencer started, "Hanna and I went to a club. It was fun at first, and I drank a lot. In fact, I drank too much."

"Spencer," Toby said, urging her to continue. He knew she had a tendency to ramble when she was nervous, and in most cases, he'd be okay with it.

"I had sex with someone else." Spencer finally blurted. Instantly, it felt as though someone had ripped out Toby's heart and stomped on it. He was gone. He was clinging onto life, and she copes by having sleeping with a stranger?

"I-I-" Toby started, but no words came out. He was speechless.

"I was extremely wasted and I have no memory of that night. All I remember is waking up the next morning next to some guy, and I had no clothes on. I swear Toby, it meant nothing and I've hated myself since it happened. I haven't even seen or talked to him since."

"That doesn't make it okay," Toby finally said, and Spencer noticed that tears were starting to form in his eyes.

"Toby-"

"Spencer, I trusted you. I mean, first Mark, now this? Clearly, you don't feel the same way about me as I do about you," Toby said, heading towards the door.

"Toby, that's not true," Spencer said, stopping him, "please don't leave me." her voice was so low it was barely audible.

"I'll be back in a few hours." Toby said, grabbing a coat and walking out of the room, and eventually the house.

Spencer sat alone on their bed, tears beginning to fall down her face. She began violently sobbing. A part of her was thankful that Isaac was at Mark's house. At least he didn't have to witness this.

-

Toby sat in the parking lot of his old  work building on base. It was past midnight, so the parking lot was barren apart from a few cars of people who had been given the night shift.

He wasn't angry with her. He could never be. But he was upset. He already didn't feel good enough for her. This just proved him to be right. He wasn't good enough for her. This entire situation reminded him of his childhood. He was always second. People preferred his older, athletic, smarter brother. Spencer was just another person in his life who had forgotten about him. He was never good enough for anybody.

Suddenly, there was a tap on his car window. It was too dark to tell, especially when this person was in uniform, but he knew it was a woman. "Cavanaugh? What are you doing here this late?" Toby rolled down his window, and suddenly the image became more clear. It was an old co-worker of his, Lisa Morales. They weren't extremely close, but on some occasions they did talk. They were deployed to Syria together, and she was nice enough to send him a "get well soon" card when he was in the hospital. The again, that was more of a team effort.

Toby wasn't sure whether or not he should lie. Then he figured, he had had enough of the lying for one night. "My girlfriend and I just had a huge fight. I'm just sitting her for a while until I can cool down."

Lisa asked if he could unlock the car door so she could join him. "Why come here? You don't even work here anymore.

"I don't know," he sighed, "I had nowhere else to go."

There was a long, awkward silence before Lisa spoke again. "Well, I won't ask what happened, because I don't want to seem nosy. But I hope that everything turns out alright for you two."

You know you want to, Toby's inner devilish thoughts persuaded, it'll be revenge for what Spencer did to you.

Not even five minutes had passed before the two were stripping off their clothing and moving to the backseat.

-

Toby still hadn't returned home the next morning, and Spencer had given up all hope that he would come back.

Toby eventually did return that evening, giving Spencer the slightest bit of hope that he would forgive her and they could be in love again.

In that moment, when Toby walked through the front door, Spencer didn't care about what he had done or what had happened between them. She was just glad he was alright. She held onto him once he was inside the house, and had no plans on letting go. "I was so worried," Spencer said, her voice muffled by his shirt. "I couldn't go back to sleep. I was so worried that you were gone for good. I know I've said it a billion times already but I'm so sorry."

"We can't be together anymore." Toby said, feeling is eyes fill with tears.

"Toby, I already hate myself so much for what happened- I promise it won't happen again..." Spencer begged with all of her power. She didn't want to let him go.

"I slept with someone too," Toby confessed, watching all emotion drain from Spencer's face. His voice was hoarse, and his eyes were still red and puffy. "Last night. I know you won't be able to forgive me because I can't seem to forgive myself for doing it, but I just need you to know that I'm sorry. We can't fix this, Spence."

They both knew at this point that this was too big of a mess to fix. Their relationship was over.

Spencer looked down at her left hand, and sure enough, the engagement ring Toby had given her was still there. She took it off, and it took all of her power not to throw it at him. What she had done was just as bad, and she didn't want to seem like a hypocrite.

"Take it. I can't look at it anymore," Spencer said, gently placing the ring in his hand and watching him walk out the door.

And for three years, the two didn't see each other again.