Chapter 45: Finale

one year later

It had been a year since Spencer and Toby had gotten engaged. They were getting better every day, as both parents and a couple. Spencer and Toby got married a few months after being engaged, and they couldn't be happier. Maria and Ana were happy with their new lives. Things were perfect for the first time in a really, really long time.

They talked about possibly having a baby of their own, and had been trying for a few months. Toby was finally open to the idea of having a baby, but only with Spencer. He loved raising children with her, and he wanted to keep doing it.

They didn't have any luck for a long time, in fact they almost gave up. It wasn't until one morning, six months after they had gotten married, that Spencer woke up feeling nauseous. Her head was pounding, and she felt like she could throw up at any moment.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay home? I can take the kids to school and daycare and come right back. I want to take care of you," Toby offered right as he was about to head out the door. Spencer had told him she wasn't feeling well, in fact it took most of her energy to walk from their bedroom to the front door.

"I want you to go to work. Don't worry about me. I'm sure I'll be over this by tomorrow," Spencer said.

"Alright. Call me if you need anything," Toby said, kissing his wife's forehead.

"Bye momma!" Isaac said as he made his way out the door with Maria and Ana, who were also saying their goodbyes. She hugged them all, then watched them follow Toby to the car. They were all growing up so fast. Isaac was eight years old now, and Maria was already five and in first grade, not to mention she looked exactly like her late mother. Ana was walking, saying a few words, and being able to understand everyone around her at only fifteen months, and she looked more and more like Jonathan and Rebecca every day.

Spencer just wanted time to stop for a while. She wanted this forever. Isaac and Maria were getting along, despite their age difference, and Ana was becoming her own person.  Isaac was the big brother Spencer wanted him to be. Her marriage was perfect, and she wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Her limbs were tired, so she slowly made her way back upstairs and to the restroom, were she kept one final pregnancy test hidden. She excluded the fact that she was nearly a week late, because she didn't want Toby to get his hopes up. Spencer stocked up on the tests at the time she and Toby were trying to have a baby, but she kept one in case of an emergency, like this.

Though the idea of being pregnant both excited her and terrified her, she knew she was ready to have another baby. As she waited for the test to finish processing, she thought of how far her life had come since she married Toby. She was so in love with him and their family. She would never want to go back to how her life was before she met him.

Three minutes passed, and Spencer looked down at the test. To her surprise, a small pink plus sign appeared on the test.

It seemed too good to be true. She really was pregnant. She wanted to call Toby immediately and tell him,  but she was worried he had already gotten to work. She looked at the time. It was only eight o'clock, so maybe if she was lucky, he wasn't there yet.

She dialed his number, and he picked up almost immediately. "Hey, is everything okay?" He asked.

"Are you at the high school right now?" Spencer asked.

"Not yet, I just dropped off the kids. Are you alright?"

"Can you come home, please?"

"Yeah, of course. I'll call the school." He agreed, obviously nervous about his wife's health.