Chapter 18: Daddy Dearest

"Mr. Cavanaugh," a dark haired male doctor said, returning to Toby's room after doing some research on his current condition, "I can speak for everyone in this room when I say that we're all very glad you're alive and well."

Spencer, who was sitting close to her boyfriend, smiled. She was glad he was alright. She was more than glad. Toby being alive and well meant more to her than anything, because he was practically her other half. If he had been killed, she would've gone insane. Without him, her world wasn't complete.

"However," the doctor started, his voice turning low, "with what happened to you, you may experience some symptoms that are linked to post-traumatic stress disorder. I suggest seeing a therapist as soon as you're well enough to be on your own. Also, because of the damaged caused in your spinal cord, you'll need to be in a wheelchair for a few weeks." The male doctor, Dr. Groves, explained, running his fingers through his salt-and-pepper hair and sighing.

Toby nodded silently. He would never have expected this to happen to him. Then again, he never expected himself to survive the plane crash. It would pain him, but he knew he had to attend the funerals of the soldiers who were killed. He didn't think about it too much, because he knew he would start to have flashbacks again.

Dr. Groves left the room, and the reunion between Toby and his family and Spencer continued. "So they told me earlier that I could be out of here by next Friday." Toby mentioned, to everyone's delight.

"That's great," Spencer said, kissing Toby lightly on his cheek, "we could start packing our things on Saturday, or whenever you're ready." Spencer hadn't forgotten about Toby's deal: if he made it home alright, they'd buy a house and move in together.

"What?" Toby's father, Daniel, questioned. He wanted to believe that either he was hearing things, or that Spencer was making a not-so-funny joke.

"Toby and I are moving in together!" Spencer announced, smiling a big, genuine smile. She automatically noticed Marion's smile and Daniel's angry glare.

"Don't you think it's a little too soon for you two to move in together? You've only known each other for a few months." Daniel Cavanaugh argued. He wasn't Spencer's biggest fan, and both Toby and Spencer were well aware.

"I love her, dad, and there's nothing you can do about it." Toby retaliated. Spencer's heart raced. She loved the sound of Toby declaring his love for her. She would've done the same for him.

Daniel glared at his son. He knew that there was no way to convince him not to move in with this toxic girl.Marion Cavanaugh, Toby's mother, smiled. It was no secret to her that her son once had commitment issues, and she was glad he finally found someone that he truly loves. "Daniel, leave him alone." She whispered to her husband. To her dismay, her husband kept arguing with their son.

"I can't believe you'd move in with someone you barely know." Daniel argued.

"I do know her, dad. And I'm old enough to make my own decisions." Toby argued back. He was tired of hearing all the bullshit from his father. It wasn't true. Daniel didn't know Spencer like Toby did.

Marion chimed in. "Stop arguing, you two! This can't be healthy for either of you."

"Marion, stay out of this," Daniel said, "this is between Toby and I."

Spencer felt trapped. She hated being around people arguing; it gave her terrible anxiety. She quickly got up and headed out into the silent corridor, mumbling a few things to herself.

"Spencer," Toby said, unsafely unhooking his IV bag and every other thing that was attached to him and quickly climbing onto his wheelchair. Seeing Spencer hurt pained him more than anything that had happened to him. He winced as he propped himself onto the wheelchair and made his way to the slowly closing door.

Spencer was out in the hallway, taking deep breaths and holding back tears. She never knew why she always resorted to crying, but it seemed like the strongest decision to make at the moment. As a child, she'd cry if she felt hopeless or stuck. Her parents weren't much help, so she never completely learned how to control her emotions. Spencer gasped when she saw Toby appear next to her in his wheelchair. He was risking his health to be with her, and he didn't care. She quickly wiped away her tears, though it didn't change the fact that they were once there. "Toby, you need to be back on the bed," she quietly scolded him.

He was putting himself in so much pain just to be with her, and they both knew it. "I don't care. I don't care if my dad doesn't support our decision. But dammit, Spencer, I love you so much. I love you so much, I can't stand it. We're getting a house and moving in together with Isaac no matter what anyone else says. Now, please, come back inside and be with me. I promise, there won't be any more arguing. I know how you get, and I'm sorry you had to hear that."

Spencer smiled. Toby Cavanaugh had a special talent of knowing exactly what she needed to hear. She grabbed his hand and followed him back into his hospital room.

"I think that Toby should stay with us until he feels better." Daniel mentioned.

"No, dad. I'm living with Spencer." Toby said. He didn't care if he was acting stubborn. He made a vow that he would never have to resort to living with his parents again.

Marion chimed in yet again. "I'm going to get food. Daniel, join me and leave Toby alone with his girlfriend." Daniel groaned and joined his wife, leaving Toby and Spencer alone.

"I'm not going to let my father or anyone else get in the way of us," Toby said to Spencer, "I promise."