Chapter 29: Three Years Forward

3 years later...

Spencer started to make dinner in her newly furnished home, waiting for Mark to return with Isaac, whom was now almost seven years old.

"I'm happy for you, Han, really!" Spencer congratulated her long-time friend on her promotion to VP of a fashion company's Los Angles office. "I just wish you were closer,"

"I know Spencer, three thousand miles is too much. I'll try to be there for Christmas. I've only been here a week and I already hate it. People are downright rude and traffic is awful,"

Spencer laughed to herself. She heard the front door open, then said her goodbyes and hung up. "There's my boy!" She said upon seeing Isaac for the first time since that morning, "I missed you, how was your day?"

Spencer listened to her son as he rambled on and on about his day, mostly talking about recess and not about his actual class.

Mark entered the house, and Spencer greeted him with a big kiss on the lips.

"You have no idea how much I love coming home to you," Mark mentioned, kissing Spencer's forehead. "How was class?"

"Uneventful. I'm ready for it to be over," Spencer sighed. She only had a few credits left before she was able to receive her master's degree, which would qualify her to begin her new career. She had connections with the local school board, and once she graduates, she would be able to teach high school physics, a lifelong dream of hers.

Mark followed Isaac to the living room to assist his son with his homework, and Spencer continued to make dinner.

"Crap," Spencer muttered.

"What's wrong?" Mark asked.

"I forgot like three things. I need to go back to the market," Spencer said, clearly in a rush.

"That's alright, go ahead. I'll be here with Isaac."

"Thank you, baby," Spencer said and kissed his cheek, heading out the door.

-

The trip to the market had been unsuccessful. Everything Spencer needed was out of stock. Although she hated to, she was forced to improvise.

"Spencer?" A man's voice called to her. She knew that voice. That voice, at one point, made her melt. That voice had effortlessly told her sweet things that she'll never forget.

That voice belonged to Toby Cavanaugh.

"Toby?" Spencer said, looking up. Sure enough, Toby Cavanaugh was standing there, not at all changed by the three years that had passed since the two saw each other last.

"Wow, you look... amazing," Toby stated. Spencer believed that to be the exact opposite of true. She was sure he was only saying that to be nice, since she was wearing an old pair of jeans and an even older button-up shirt.

But Toby wasn't just saying that to be nice, he truly believed that she was the most gorgeous person there. He never cared about what she was wearing.

"Hi," Spencer said, leaning in for an awkward hug, "you look good." Spencer thought that Toby looked even better than he did before, if that was even possible. He had grown some facial hair, which made him look more distinguished. More mature.

"How are you?" Spencer asked, trying to make conversation.

"I've been good," Toby said. Until now, Toby hadn't realized how empty his life had been these last three years. He did absolutely nothing. She's probably had the time of her life without him. He was a mess after they broke up.

"How about you? Are you dating anybody?" Toby asked. He didn't mean for the last sentence to come out. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No, it's fine," Spencer smiled slightly, "I've been good too," What could she say about Mark? It felt weird to say that they were boyfriend and girlfriend. For some reason, that sounded so childish. They were more than that- he was the father of her child. They were partners. "Mark and I are... together." Spencer said, trying to find the right words.

"Oh," Toby stated blankly. He had hoped his past mistakes didn't ruin her chances at future relationships. But she seemed fine. He, on the other hand, was seeing someone, but she wasn't nearly as great as Spencer. "How's Isaac?"

"He's growing up so fast," Spencer smiled at the thought of her son.

"He's seven now, right?" Toby asked.

"Yeah, he's in third grade now. He still asks about you sometimes."

The two walked around the market together, catching up and talking mostly about Isaac. It occurred to Spencer that Toby cared more about Isaac than Isaac's own father did. But she kept that thought to herself.

"Well, I have to head home," Spencer's heart dropped when she realized she had to leave, "I'll see you around."

"I hope so," Toby said, watching her leave, taking his breath away.