Chapter 7: Mark And Isaac

Spencer paced back and forth around her apartment. She had never been more nervous in her entire life. She really cared about Toby. If he was really gone, she'd be devastated.

It was five o'clock on Sunday. Her parents would be here at seven, and Isaac and Mark could be here any second. But she didn't care. She was waiting for Toby. She hadn't heard from him all Saturday, nor did she hear from him earlier that day.

There was a knock at the door, and Spencer raced to answer it. Toby appeared at the opposite side of the door, looking just as nervous as she was, maybe even more.

"Spencer, I-" he started, but Spencer cut him off with a long, passionate kiss.

"I don't care right now. Please, just hold me." She begged. All she wanted was to be in his presence. She didn't care that he had just been gone for a day and a half. She just cared that he was here now. "I was so worried. Where were you?" She asked, suddenly remembering that she was supposed to be angry.

"I freaked out for a second about meeting Isaac and your family. But I'm good now. I'm ready to meet them." Toby said. He was being completely honest. He saw no point in lying to her. It would only make things worse.

"You could've called. You could've sent me a text." Spencer said.

"I'm sorry, baby." Toby apologized.

The doorbell rang, preventing Spencer from responding. She secretly hoped that would happen, as it would save them from a huge argument. She opened the door, immediately greeted with a large hug from her son. "Mommy!" Isaac exclaimed, jumping into his mother's arms. They hadn't seen each other in nearly three months.

"Hi!" Spencer said. Her terrible mood immediately went away as soon as she saw her son. She missed him more than words could express. Every day was lonely without him.

Mark greeted Spencer with a hug. Toby watched from afar, and was far too nervous to jump in himself.

Mark was a very intimidating looking man. He had tattoos covering both of his arms, and piercing dark brown eyes that could kill a person. It was all just a facade, though. Mark was a genuinely caring and pretty amazing person.

"I'm so glad you're back," Spencer said to her son, bringing him in for another hug. His tiny child arms weren't long enough to wrap around her yet. Spencer cherished that, as she knew it would go away very soon. Spencer missed the days where his hand could only hold her index finger. He was growing up fast. Too fast.

"Where's grandma and grandpa?" Isaac asked. He had been anticipating seeing his grandparents almost as much as he anticipated seeing his mother.

"They'll be here soon. I want you to meet... A friend of mine." Spencer said, grabbing her son's hand and guiding him to her boyfriend. She decided to omit telling him about the fact that she was in a relationship. She wanted to just introduce Toby as a friend.When no one was looking, Mark looked Toby up and down. This was the guy Spencer wouldn't stop talking about. He seemed nice, but so did all the other guys. Mark didn't want to think it, but he had to be prepared for the time, if it ever came, for Toby to freak out and leave the picture for good. He couldn't help but be protective over Spencer. They had known each other practically their whole lives.

"You must be Toby," he said, reaching his hand out, "I'm Mark. Spencer talks about you a lot." Toby shook his hand. He had a tight grip.

"Gabriel couldn't make it?" Spencer asked, slightly disappointed.

"He's not feeling well," Mark explained, "but he says hello."

Toby shuffled back to the living room, sitting on the couch and fidgeting with his hands. He had never felt more helpless in a situation. At least when he was deployed in Iraq, he had some help.

He looked back at Spencer. She seemed so happy. He had never seen her this happy before. He got up and paced around the living room for a second, trying to build up his courage. "I can do this." He told himself. It wasn't that kids freaked him out, Toby just had no desire to have a family. He never pictured himself having kids with anyone. Children are expensive, loud, noisy, and they ruin your social life and your sex life. He never shut anyone out if they did have kids. Toby admired his friends who had children, but he just never wanted any of his own.

But if he had to change that opinion to be with this girl, then so be it.

"Toby, can you help me with dinner please?" Spencer called from the kitchen. Toby made his way to her, hearing laughter from Mark. Spencer must've told him something funny. Toby feared that she was talking about him.

"You're freaking him out," Spencer whispered to Mark, "be a little bit nicer."

"I haven't said anything."

"That's the point! Now, don't be too intimidating. I don't want a repeat of what happened with Michael."

Mark laughed at the memory. Michael, an ex-boyfriend of Spencer's, was so intimidated by Mark that he was sweating intensely. Michael was so pale and sweaty that he nearly passed out during dinner.

Toby walked in, wrapping his arms around Spencer's waist. Isaac entered shortly after he finished unpacking, causing Toby to let go. He would've stayed there, holding her, but he wasn't sure about how Isaac felt about PDA.

"Mommy, can I help?" Isaac asked.

Spencer smiled and nodded her head. "Why don't you help Toby?" She said, gesturing towards her boyfriend.

Toby lifted Isaac up and sat him on the counter. Spencer watched as the two got more comfortable with each other. It was only a matter of time before Toby seemed like Isaac's best friend. Spencer smiled and sighed in relief.

Now it was all up to whether or not her parents liked him.