24- Names

Maya's POV

"What about Ruth?" He says.

"I wasn't aware our baby would come out as an old lady" I retort.

"What about Angeline?" He suggests.

"We are not naming our child after your psycho ex" I reply huffing in annoyance.

"Her name wasn't really Angeline" He defends.

"I don't care" I dismiss.

"Fine miss I know everything" He sighs "You have any better suggestions?"

"Actually yes I have a whole list" I beam pulling up the page on my notes app.

Mitchel and I were currently trying to pick out potential baby names which was proving pretty difficult. Boys names had become easy for us but boys names always were, girls were trickier, girls names held a certain character we had to get right.

We had an appointment today with the doctor to find out the gender of the baby and so we thought now would be as good a time as ever to figure out some names.

"Aspyn?" I say.

"Sounds like aspirin" He dismisses "Next"

"Skye?"

"Skye?" He laughs "What's next? Grass? Pavement?"

"Chloe?" I say reading further down the list.

"No" He says shaking his head "We have an annoying fan called Chloe"

I nod in understanding and delete it from the list with a sigh realising this was not going well. Hopefully it would be a boy and make our lives easier.

"Mona?" He suggests.

"You and that damn painting" I sigh throwing a pillow in his direction.

He laughs in response and I eventually join in. Mitchel had developed an obsession for Mona Lisa after his last visit to Paris and even had a tshirt with the painting printed on it. As much as he may annoy me sometimes, I was really happy things were working for us especially now we were an official item. He was so caring and attentive, making sure I had everything I needed. Last night I had such a craving for pickles that he went to McDonald's and made them give me a box of just pickle slices because all the local shops were closed.

"How about we just wait and see what it is first instead of stressing over names we might not even need" He suggests.

"I suppose" I say leaning back against the wall.

He moves over on the bed to join me pulling me into him and I rest my head on his chest enjoying the comfort and safeness the action provided. I let out an audible sigh as I bury my face deeper into his hoodie.

"What's up?" He asks moving the hair out my face.

"Nothing" I mumble.

"At least try to sound convincing babe" He smiles.

"I'm just overthinking things" I dismiss.

"Share your problems with me" He says "I'd give you a beer but unfortunately all I can offer you is a glass of Clinton's almond milk"

"I'll pass" I say scrunching up my nose.

"What's wrong though? I don't like seeing you down" He says.

"It's just starting to get real you know? Today we find out the gender and then it's not so much a baby anymore as it is a child, our child" I explain "I don't know I guess it's just really starting to sink in and I'm worried I won't be able to handle it, being a parent"

"It's okay to be worried, it's natural" He shrugs "But I have complete faith that you'll be great and I'll be here to help you with everything"

"I know and I don't think I'd be able to do it without you" I say truthfully.

I don't know what I would have done if Mitchel had chose to not be a part of the baby's life, if him walking out the day I told him had been the last time I seen him. I'd be doing this alone, I'd be buying everything myself and we wouldn't be together like we are just now.

"We're going to be just fine" He reassures "We're going to be the coolest damn parents ever"

I smile in response thinking about what it would be like for my child to have a dad who was in a band, always on tour or in the recording studio. I know Mitchel was going to be away a lot and I prayed it wouldn't affect our child too much.

"I think you falling pregnant was a blessing in disguise for me" He says looking right into my eyes "I was a mess, I was out doing god knows what every night surrounding myself with faceless girls and I didn't realise how unsatisfying that was until you came into my life"

"Mitchel" I go to speak.

"You gave me a reason to better myself and I couldn't be happier" He says "I care about you so much Maya"

"I care about you too" I reply.

It would be easy just to say it now because I know we both felt it, it wouldn't be a big deal but it was still early and using the L word right now might backfire and so we just soundlessly share our mutual feeling with a soft kiss on the lips.

"We better get going so we're not late" He says taking my hand and pulling me up.

"Imagine if it ended up being twins and one of each" I laugh.

"Don't even joke about that" He says "I only have two hands"

"So? Two babies, two hands" I reply as we walk out the bus on our way to the doctors office.

"Yeah but then I'd have no hands left to hold yours" He pouts.

"That was ridiculously cheesy" I reply smiling.

"But you loved it" He smirks.

"You got me there Cave, you got me there" I smile.

---

The cold gel once again is spread all over my stomach and I do my best to bare through the uncomfortable sensation as I plaster a small smile on my face as the doctor speaks to us asking the regular questions.

Mitchel looks visibly impatient and I know he just wanted to find out what it was already. When I had asked him if he wanted to find out the gender or leave it until the birth he immediately said he wanted to know as soon as possible. He was as bad as me in that I had to know everything and I had the worst patience ever.

"Are we excited to find out what we're having?" The doctor smiles knowingly.

"Very" Mitchel nods.

The doctor smiles in response as she starts moving the stick around until the dark screen begins to show a blurry shape and the sound of the heartbeat echoes through the room.

Mitchel takes my hand as usual as we watch on listening to the various things the doctor was telling us. We were half listening at this point, wanting to get to the part we were here for. I didn't have a preference over what we were having, as long as it was healthy. Mitchel said he didn't either but I knew he secretly wanted a girl because I would catch him looking at girl outfits when we went shopping or I would see him scrolling through pink nursery furniture online when he thinks I'm sleeping.

I was still amazed sometimes with how much he cared. Any other guy wouldn't care at all, they wouldn't even bother to attend these regular check ups. But he cared, he cared so much.

"Do you want to know the gender just now?" The doctor asks looking at us.

"You already know?" Mitchel asks in disbelief.

"Yes shall I say now or I can disclose it in the forms for you to read when you leave" She replies.

"Now is fine" I tell her "Tell us now"

I look over at Mitchel and give him a warm smile as he squeezes my hand, silently thanking me for not making us wait any longer than we needed to.

"Well congratulations" She says "You're having a girl"

-----

Oh look I'm not dead 💀