34- mother

Maya's POV

I was in shock that my mother was actually here, I actually questioned if I was imagining it and that it was just a hallucination induced by all the medicine I was on.

My mom had never once visited me out in LA. She had never really approved of me coming out in the first place to pursue a career in something creative, she had always wanted me to go study law or involving science at college and get a degree.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"A hello would be nice" She says in that bitter tone she always used.

The boys start to shift out the room claiming they were going to grab some food at the cafe but I knew that they just wanted to avoid the clear tension in the room. Mitchel was the only one to stay but that didn't surprise me, it seems he didn't want to leave my side.

"I get a message from your friend saying you're in the hospital of course I'm going to come see you" She says as if it's obvious.

I let out a small scoff, one that she probably picks up on but I don't care. My mom wasn't exactly the most maternal person, she was cold my whole childhood and was probably a major role in my moving out here. I deducted that Kyra must have told my mom but she probably thought she was doing the right thing, she didn't understand how my mother could be.

"Well I'm fine" I reply "It was just a scare"

She nods her head in understanding. She still wasn't exactly thrilled I was pregnant but again she was never very opposed to it when I told her. I could never tell what she was really thinking and it was infuriating.

"You're the father I assume?" She asks directing her attention to Mitchel.

He seems slightly taken aback she is talking to him but he quickly snaps out of it and nods in response.

"Yes ma'am"

She gives him a once over as he wore his typical style of clothes and messy hair and I can already tell what she's thinking and I just hoped she wouldn't say anything mean.

"Hmm" She hums.

"So is that all?" I ask trying to change the subject.

"Is what all?" She asks confused.

"Obviously you're not just here to check up on me, there must be some ulterior motive" I comment bitterly.

"Don't be so dramatic dear" She sighs "I get a message you're in hospital, of course I'm going to come see you're alright"

"That's a first" I reply.

I just wanted her gone. She was only raising my stress levels and I knew that I had to keep them at bay to keep me and the baby safe. Regardless of her title; she was not a mother. She didn't care for me as a child when I would fall over, I would watch other kids hurt themselves and their mom would wipe the tears, kiss it better and put a plaster on it. All my mom did was tell me to stop crying.

"I don't know why you're being so difficult Maya" She sighs.

"And I don't know why you're here" I retort.

I could feel Mitchel was uncomfortable and part of me wanted him to go so he wouldn't be caught in this but I was also glad he was here and that I wasn't stuck alone in this room with her.

"I thought this would be a good opportunity to propose the idea of you coming back home" She says.

There it was. I knew she wouldn't come all this way just to check on me.