41- trouble

Mitchel's POV

"And done" I mumble to myself ticking off the last thing on my list.

I look down at my shopping cart that was full of all the bulk supplies we needed for the baby coming in a few weeks. I had signed up for a Costco membership purely just for this reason and I had to admit, this place was pretty amazing. Everything was huge and super cheap, I even helped myself to a few free food tasters along the way.

I had bought all the plain necessities such as wipes, diapers, bottles etc and I'd finally managed to tick off everything on the list Maya and I had curated together. She looked so peaceful this morning sleeping with her arms hugging the sheets that I just couldn't bear to wake her. I decided just to come out to get stuff myself and let her sleep on and give her a text later. She was probably awake now but my phone was dead so I couldn't see if she had sent me any messages.

Thankfully the place wasn't too busy today so I managed to make my way to a checkout fairly quick. I could see a small smile on the woman's face as she started scanning all the items.

"Is someone expecting shortly?" She asks.

"Yup, 35 weeks today" I joke putting my non existent belly.

She lets out a laugh and scans the last of my items ringing up the price. I pay by card and she wishes me a sweet 'good luck' that I smile in return for.

I then do my best to unload everything into the car which took quite a bit of Tetris-like rearranging to get it all to fit but I somehow got there. Despite me arriving here not long after 11, it was now early afternoon as I read the time on the car as I start the engine.

I felt myself getting quite hungry and so I decide to go grab some food knowing Maya would be much more welcoming of me arriving back if I had food in my hands, especially seen as I had skipped our tradition of eating breakfast together today.

The roads were pretty busy but not the worst I'd seen, I rolled down the window and sang along with the music playing in the speakers which earned me a few strange glares from people in other cars but I carelessly shrugged it off, I never let it phase me. Maya always got embarrassed by it though and would hide her face in shame like I'd just ran down the street without clothes on or something.

I pull into a parking lot that was close by to the McDonald's not wanting to deal with the hassle of drive through which always took way too long. I remember about a charger pack in the glovebox so I decide to go leave my phone to charge so by the time I get back I'll be able to let Maya know I'm on the way home because I knew she had a tendency to worry and I got out the car.

As I'm walking to the McDonald's I half and take a step back looking at the shop window. A faint smile makes its way onto my lips as I see the small rattle on the display with the other objects for sale. The rose gold had glistened in the sun and caught my eye and I knew then I couldn't go past and not go in and get it.

I walk in the shop and the familiar worker sends me a knowing smile, I had been in so many times over the past few months she recognised me now but then again I guess it's not hard to forget a messy looking guy with hair always in his face.

"I need the rattle" I say smiling.

"The rattle?" She asks confused.

"The one on the display" I say pointing to the window.

"Oh" She says "I'm sorry actually but that's the only one and it's for display"

My heart sinks at her words, I knew I had to have it and I knew if I left I wouldn't have the chance to get it again.