35- Nursery

*2 months later*

Mitchel's POV

"Come on we can just watch films all day" I whine "Any films you want even those shitty romance ones you like"

"Sorry rockstar but I have a date" Maya smiles putting on her lipstick and checking herself in the mirror.

"A date?" I say mocking offence "You're cheating on me?"

"Shut up silly you know what I mean" She laughs.

"Still" I pout "I just wanna spend the day with my girl"

"Mitchel I'll be gone for like a few hours" She smiles "You'll survive"

"Fine" I reply "But tonight when you wanna cuddle I'm not gonna let you"

"You and I both know that's bullshit" She smirks picking up her bag.

"Shut up" I laugh even though I know she was right.

She checks herself one last time in the mirror, smoothing down her hair and pouting slightly at her appearance. Her bump was really big now and was due in less than 7 weeks so she hated how big she looked but I think she still looked beautiful regardless. I always thought people were exaggerating when they said pregnant women glow but it was true, she was glowing so much. I could see it in her eyes and the smile she wore on her face, everything about her looked angelic.

"I'll be back soon okay?" She says placing a gentle kiss on my lips while bending down.

"Stay safe" I reply.

She gives me a smile and walks out the room. I walk to the window and watch as she makes her way to the car where Kyra was waiting. She gets into the passenger seat before they drive away.

It was amazing how much you could miss someone and how much you could worry over them even when you were only separated for a few hours. Ever since Maya left hospital I'd been super protective of her, taking her everywhere she needed to be and staying by her side at all costs. I knew she needed time to herself though so I'm glad she was out with Kyra because then I knew she would have someone there if anything were to go wrong.

I let out a contented sigh as I make my way through the house to the spare room where I was currently working on the nursery. I was almost finished and Maya didn't know a thing about it; I only worked on it when she was out or staying over at Kyra's. She never went into the room because as far as she was concerned, it was just the spare room for guests.

I had painted the walls a warm white colour, I was going to do pink but I decided to not go with that because I hated the stigma around pink for girls and blue for boys because kids like whatever colours you show them. A white was a nice neutral and kept the room bright and clean looking.

There was some drawers, a changing table and a wardrobe which were also white. I had spent one night while Maya stayed over at Kyra's building it all. I went for the safe option of Ikea furniture yet it still somehow took me a good 8 hours to get it all constructed and I was exhausted but I was happy with end result and proud of myself for doing it without any help.

I had the crib to assemble today and I was excited for it because it was one of the main things for the baby. Maya and I had picked out another one for our bedroom where it attaches to our bed so you're close to the baby at all times but I decided to buy another one for the nursery so we had options. I also kind of fell in love with it when I found it in the store. It was a proper traditional crib made of white wood and stood tall with a built in hanging mobile.

Once I finished the crib today the nursery would be almost finished, I just needed some extra decorations to put around and then I'd be able to show Maya. I knew she was going to love it because she was under the impression the baby was just going to have all its stuff in our room so hopefully finding out about the nursery would cheer her up as she'd been pretty upset and irritable lately as she was getting to the uncomfortable later stages in her pregnancy.

I start unboxing the crib and figuring out where everything goes. I had to try and do it quick in case Maya wasn't out for long. It really wasn't long until this room was going to have a baby in it, my baby. Sometimes it was still surreal to me despite how normal it all was to me now. I never pictured myself becoming a father at all let alone in my early twenties.

I was sitting on the floor with all the pieces scattered around me as I concentrated on reading the instruction book. There was a slight knock on the door and I began to panic that it was Maya and she had forgotten something and came back but when Christian pops his head around the door I relax again.

"Hey" I smile.

"What's today's task?" He asks.

"The crib" I say pointing to the image of a large crib on the box with a happy couple next to it holding a baby.

"Need help?" He asks sitting down on the floor next to me.

"I don't think so but you can keep me company" I reply.

He nods his head as I start screwing nails into the different sections. Christian takes a look around the room nodding to himself in approval and it certainly looked different to the last time he was in here when it was just boxes lying around.

"Getting excited?" He asks.

"Very" I nod my head.

I really was. I thought the closer I got, the more scared I would get. Despite all the reading I had done and classes Maya and I went to as well as everything my mum had told me, I still didn't have the slightest clue to do when the baby was actually here. I know I'd pick it up, I was good at learning things quickly.

"It's going to be so weird having a baby here all the time" Christian smiles.

"I know" I nod "Who thought our bachelor bad would turn into daddy day care?"

We both laugh and reminisce of last year where our house was nothing more than a constant stream of women coming and going, more mine than Christian as he was never one for all the hook ups. This room used to cater for party girls who couldn't get home and now I was decorating it as a nursery getting ready to welcome my baby into it.

"Im so proud of you Mitchel" He says in a serious tone.

"Thanks" I nod.

If meant a lot to me to hear that from Christian because I know for a long time we weren't getting on that great because of my party ways and reckless behaviour. Even the others had been tamed slightly by association, they went out partying less and stayed in with us just hanging out watching a film. Clinton was apparently seeing a girl but he wouldn't tell us who or anything about it but he seemed happy and I'm glad he was, I knew he wasn't in the best place for a while either.

"Mitchel I don't think that's how you do it" Christian points out.

"Me either" I laugh.

I look down at the two pieces I had somehow screwed together but it didn't look like the picture at all. I scrunch up my face as I look over the instructions again trying to see where I went wrong. I wave away Christian's hand as he tries to fix it as I was determined to do it myself.

"Any luck on a name yet?" He asks.

I shake my head no. We were still struggling with finding a name we both liked and that seemed fitting but we really hadn't found anything that stuck out and so I think Maya was getting a bit frustrated as it was something most people got figured out pretty early. I reassured her it might just be one of those cases where when we see the baby then a name will immediately come to us.

I let out a sigh of frustration as I had once again somehow messed up putting it together. I was starting to miss the simpleness of the Ikea instructions.

"Mitchel?" Christian asks.

"Yeah?" I reply.

"Do you want help now?" He smirks holding another piece he had managed to put together perfectly.

"I guess a little help isn't too bad" I smile.