Dutch van der Linde: Pretty Words

Dutch van der Linde X Female Reader

Summary: When Dutch speaks to the opinionated reader about Evelyn Miller's books, he is disappointed to discover that she doesn't share his views but still loves to watch her talk so passionately about something.

Word Count: 1624

You had always been a force to be reckoned with in the camp. Everybody knew not to pick a fight with you because it seemed that you could outwit anyone, perhaps which was what attracted Dutch to you in the first place. You had started out rather quiet and kept your thoughts to yourself but as you got more comfortable in the camp you began to share your thoughts, correcting people around camp, and sharing your opinions. But nobody ever thought anything bad about you, everyone in camp still loved you and actually liked that you could be bluntly honest at times.

Dutch had been attracted to you since the beginning and he wasn't embarrassed to admit that but ever since you became more confident his attraction was only growing. You were opinionated and strong willed, he liked that about you very much. The others in camp had always told you that you were Dutch's favourite, he wouldn't let anyone lay a finger on you and everyone knew it even if you were oblivious. They didn't understand how somebody so clever could be so unaware of Dutch's behaviour towards you.

"Miss L/N, what do you think America is?" Dutch asked as you walked past his tent, looking up from his book just in time to spot you wandering past and seemingly lost in your own world.

"America? I don't know what you mean..." you tilted your head and you turned to face him, a little caught off guard by his question or even his presence since you weren't paying attention.

"Oh, I've been reading, Mr Miller...again. It's my weakness. What do you think America is?" Dutch confessed with a small, almost embarrassed smile, before asking the question again. You had never seen Dutch show any embarrassment before, you were pretty sure that he was just trying to show some sort of humility or something.

"Oh...I understand. It's like you said...America is a club" you recited something that Dutch had told you a while ago, something that you had remember mainly because he had mentioned it a few times since.

"But it should be..." he pressed, looking at you as he expected you to finish off his sentence.

"An idea" you finished, smiling slightly at him.

"That's very good, Miss L/N" Dutch smiled approvingly, scooting over to one end of his bed and patting the space beside him to encourage you to sit down. You just smiled politely at him as you stepped into his tent and took a seat on his bed beside him. You had always enjoyed talking to Dutch and spending time with him so you were happy to join him for the afternoon. "Now here's what I'm thinking, maybe those of us that still believe in the ideas of America...maybe we are the true Americans, and those buffoons and their clubs? They're the traitors" he spoke, and God did you love hearing him speak even if you didn't agree with what he was saying. He was always passionate when he was talking about America, or the gang, or the changing world around them.

"Maybe..." you hummed, nodding slightly. "Only problem, Dutch, is we don't makes the rules, they do" you reminded him. It was true that you found yourself preferring a life with the gang than the life you lived before, and you were certain that you would prefer this life to one that was possible with the changing society outside of the camp. You knew that this was where you wanted to be and you wouldn't change it for anything.

"Yeah, that is a problem, isn't it?" he chuckled slightly, nodding at her words. She was right and he knew it.

"Oh and Dutch...if they are clubs, what are we?" you asked, looking at him with a small smirk. Once again you didn't want to make him feel bad or anything but you enjoyed having honest conversations with Dutch.