Mary-Beth Gaskill: Silly Romance

Mary-Beth Gaskill X Male Reader (John's Brother)

Summary: You are John Marston's brother and have a crush on Mary-Beth

Word Count: 1300

Sean has just got back to the camp and the gang was throwing a little party to celebrate and welcome him back. You were sitting in front of the fire with your brother, John, a bottle of beer in your hand.

"Y'know, if you're just going to ignore me, I'm going to leave" John chuckled slightly, pushing on your shoulder to get your attention.

"Sorry, John. What were you saying?" you asked as your turned to face him, tearing your attention away from what had you so captivated.

"Oh, nothing that matters. You should go and talk to her" he encouraged you, patting your shoulder before dropping his hand. John nodded his head towards Mary-Beth, who was sitting and reading a book. You had been pining over that woman for a long time and John had noticed.

"I don't know what you are talking about" you shrugged and attempted to act clueless.

"You could ask her to dance or something" your brother suggested with a shrug of his own.

"Focus on your own love-life, brother" you rolled your eyes and took a sip of your drink, John wasn't really in the position to be giving you relationship advice.

"That hasn't worked out that well for me so far, so I'm going to focus on yours" John joked, wrapping his arms around your shoulders in a brotherly manner.

"I hate this" you groaned, hiding your face in your hands.

"Yeah? I don't care" he laughed to himself, if was a brother's job to annoy the other, right?

"Are you bored or drunk?" you asked as you pried your face from your hands and looked over at him.

"...both, now go" John smiled, trying to push you off of your seat.

"Fine. If I go over there, will you shut up?" you asked, if he would shut up it would definitely be worth it.

"Hmm, yeah" John nodded with a smile.

You sighed before finishing your drink. Once you finished your drink, you threw the bottle into the fire and stood up. You glanced back at your brother's smiling face before ignoring him and walking over to Mary-Beth. She was sitting in a quieter part of the camp, reading a book.

"Hey, Mary-Beth...what are you reading?" you asked with a small smile as you walked up to her. You were in awe at the way that her face lit up when she looked up at you.

"Oh...just some silly romance" Mary-Beth smiled as she closed the book, turning her full attention to you.

"Yeah? What's so silly about it?" you asked as you sat down beside her, not wanting to be looking down at her the whole time.

"In this case...plenty" she laughed softly to herself as she placed the book down on the other side of her.

"Uh, well, I probably wouldn't even be able to tell what's silly and what's not" you shrugged with a slightly awkward laugh as you scratched the back of your neck.

"You're not much of a reader, Mr Marston?" she asked, looking at you and making you feel like all of her attention was focused on you.

"Please, call me Y/N...and no, not really. I mean, I can read but don't make much of a habit out of it. Never interested me much" you shrugged. You and John weren't exactly known for your intelligence, most people saw you both as a pair of children with guns.

"Everybody says that, I think you just have to find the right story" Mary-Beth smiled, pausing for moment like she was thinking about what type of book you would like.

"Have you ever thought about writing your own story? I think I would like to read that" you asked with a smile, feeling pretty happy with yourself when you saw her blush lightly at your compliment.

"Oh...I...I have thought about it but...I don't know" she shrugged with a small smile on her face as she looked down at her lap, you thought that she was adorable.

"You should do it, I think you would have some great ideas" you encouraged with a smile.

"Thank you, Y/N" Mary-Beth smiled as she looked at you again.

There was a pause as you both just smiled at each other. God, she made you feel like a child with a crush.

"Would you like to dance?" you asked, finally breaking the silence. You knew that if you didn't make some sort of move you would regret it, so...why not? Mary-Beth is a nice person, even if she rejected you she would do it nicely.

"I would" Mary-Beth smiled like she had been waiting for you to ask her, you hoped that she had been.

You beamed as you stood up, holding your hand down to her. She smiled back at you as she placed her hand in yours, letting you help her to her feet. You lead her over to where Dutch was dancing with Molly.

You turned back to Mary-Beth, keeping one of her hands in yours as you placed your other hand on her waist. Mary-Beth smiled as she placed her free hand on your shoulder and the pair of you began to sway to the rhythm of the music.

"I'm sorry that I ain't much of a dancer" you apologised, it's not like you had much practise in this sort of thing.

"Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be just fine" Mary-Beth smiled sweetly as she moved a little closer to you.

You relaxed a little as you danced with her, you had wanted to hold her like this for some time so you felt very lucky to be able to dance with her.

As you began to feel more comfortable and confident, you extended your arm so that she could twirl around under it before you brought her back towards you. Mary-Beth giggled slightly as she placed her hand on your shoulder again, somehow this lead to her dancing a little closer to you but you didn't mind.

The pair of you danced until the song came to an end. On the more lively parts of the song you spun her around and made her laugh and smile, something that you would always remember. On the slower parts of the song you pulled her closer to you and she leaned into you, just enjoying be together. In your mind, it was perfect.

The song came to an end, all too soon in your own opinion, and the pair of you pulled away from each other slightly. Your hands remained on her waist while her hands remained on your shoulders. You didn't want it to be over just yet and, thankfully, neither did Mary-Beth.

Before you could completely pull away from her, Mary-Beth stepped back towards you and leaned up. She gently kissed the corner of your mouth. You paused for a moment before turning your head ever so slightly to capture her lips with yours. Part of you expected her to pull away but she didn't.

Mary-Beth instantly returned the kiss, bringing one hand up to run her fingers through your hair. You cupped her face in one hand, brushing your thumb against her cheek.

You both pulled away from each other hesitantly. Mary-Beth gave you a quick kiss on the cheek before walking away. You smiled as you watched the woman walk away, she was amazing.

You composed yourself before turning around, only to see John smiling brightly at you. You rolled your eyes at your brother before grabbing a drink and walking over to the campfire, where he was sitting. You didn't even care what John was going to say to you. Mary-Beth just kissed you!

Requests?