Chapter 12

After a few hours, I couldn't stand it anymore, I got up and put my jacket on. Not wanting to face anyone, I put a note on my door saying I'll be gone for a couple of hours, I could hear Sam and Cassy talking in the kitchen. So I got my keys and went through the back door. Luckily my bike isn't loud, I sped off, not caring where I was going. I knew I have been driving for a few hours, I know I'm not in Buna anymore. It's dark outside, not very many people on the road.

I wanted to keep going till my bike is out of gas but I didn't know when that will be and with my luck, I would be stranded on the highway. So I did what I knew what was right even though I didn't wanna. I pulled over when I saw a hotel sign. "Yes, may I help you"? The women said, " Yes I will like a room". "Ok, for how many nights". I thought about that, how many nights can i go without facing them, I know I need to, and I know I will have to one day, but I don't know how. "Umm, two nights please," I said.

She gave me the key and I went up to my room. Laying down on the bed just thinking, Sam would've already seen my note, probably still freaking out. I pulled out my phone and checked it, it was already midnight but I didn't care, I couldn't sleep even if I wanted too.

I finally fell asleep but woke up a few minutes later by my phone going off, I look at the phone to see Sarah calling me. I wanted to pick it up, but then again I didn't. Finally, I picked it up "Hello… Claire… are you there, listen, you have to come back, not just for Sam or Cassy, but for you and your dad. I know you're upset, but you can't run away from your problems. I don't know if you want to know this, but, your dad's funeral is this Saturday, try to make it". I choked down a sob and throw my phone, I laid back down.

How can I go to the funeral, I can't go to another parent funeral. How can I do this, survive this? I laid back down, just thinking, thinking about everything that happened to me, to my family.

And it's all my fault, me going to that party, getting raped, then I just had to go and call my stepmom and ask her to come get me. It's my fault that we got in a wreck and that she died. I jumped out of the bed and grabbed my keys and jacket, I was about to leave when I heard my phone. I picked it up and crush it with my hands. Since I wasn't in my right mind I didn't think twice about it. I ran down and got on my bike and drove.

Not knowing where I was going, I somehow ended up on a bridge. I pulled my bike over and looked down, it was a lake, it looked or deep too. I took a deep breath and put one leg over and then the other and sat down on the rails. I closed my eyes, I was about to jump than Cassy cross my mind. What would happen to her, she already lost a mom and dad, what would happen if she lost me. I know I would go crazy if I lost her. And I promise my stepmom that I would watch out for her and dad. I already broke one promise, I can't fail her, I have to take care of Cassy. I stood up and slipped, then I felt a sharp pain on my head, then darkness.