Chapter 28

Chapter 28

She turned the radio back down and said “I’m not kidding, you really do have a beautiful voice. Why don’t you ever sing out loud more often”? “Because, I don’t sound good.'' “Yea, and I’m a guy”. I looked at her weirdly. I was about to say something when she cut me off “Seriously Claire, you gotten stop hiding. You are nice, funny, an amazing person, when you wanna be”, I smiled at that part, “you have to give yourself a chance to be you”. “Don’t tell Sam that I can sing” I said completely ignoring what she said. I know it’s rude, I just don’t know how to express myself, i’ve always been this shy, quiet, weird girl, who always knew what she wanted to be when she grew up and made sure she went to every class and got straight ‘A’s’ to make sure she got in a good college. And now with everything that’s been happening, what I know now, I have no clue how to feel about it.

Once we got to the mall, Sarah started jumping up and down in her seat, it would’ve been okay if she wasn’t driving! “Sarah! Calm yourself down before we get in a wreck” I said, grabbing on to the ‘oh shit handle’. “Sorry, I’m just excited” she said calming down a touch. I let go of the handle and looked at her weirdly, “Why are you excited, you go to the mall everyday or every weekend”. She pointed at the mall and I saw a big sign, ‘Half off, every store, everything.’ Oh no, we are gonna be here for hours. 

FEW HOURS LATER

“Sarah come on, it’s been hours, we literally been to every store,” I said, and it’s true, Sarah dragged me to every store making me try on things and buy things, I had fun hanging out with her, but I wish we are doing something else. “You just want to leave to get out of this store” Sarah replied. Well it’s partly true, but I do have a bad feeling right now, like you’re being watched. “No, that’s no it. Really lets g-”. She quickly turned around and put her hand on my mouth, she put her finger up to her mouth, signaling me to be quiet. “Follow me” she whispered. She started walking and I quickly followed, knowing something is wrong. I want to call Sam but I also don’t want to bother him, and I don’t want him getting mad at me by leaving the house, and getting into trouble. “Sarah is it rogues?” I asked, already knowing the answer. “Yes,” she whispered, “and they are close, but don’t worry, I have a plan”. 

Sarah pulled me along and took me to a store, with nothing but perfume. “What are we doing here”? I asked, shouldn’t we be running for our lives. “Perfume mask our scent, so if we spray perfume on us, they won’t know where we are”. That kinda makes sense, but if it will help, I’m gonna do it. We sprayed different kinds of perfume on us, until all we smell was perfume. I can tell by Sarah’s face, it was killing her, but I know that she knows, it’s the only way to leave out of here. We grabbed our bags and walked in the mall, trying to blend in. “Over here”. Sarah said pulling me to an exit. We made outside and in her car without getting caught. We got in and Sarah left, quickly. “That was close” she breathed. “Yea, too close, let’s not tell Sam about today” “You sure?” Sarah asked, looked at me. “Yea, I’m sure”. We made it to my house, not saying a word, I know she disagrees with me about not telling Sam about today. I got of the car and got my bags, “hey, I gotta go, I really need to get this perfume off” Sarah said. “Okay”. I got in the house and went straight to the bedroom, I gonna do the same thing Sarah is gonna do. I put my clothes up and jumped in the shower, I really hate perfume.

When I got out of the shower I laid down on the couch, watching my tv show, I guess, I didn’t realize how tired I really was. Next thing I know is someone calling my. “Claire… love…” I slowly opened my eyes to find Sam staring at me. “Hey” I said, sitting up. He got up and sat down on the couch, pulling me on his lap. “How was your day” Sam asks, while putting his head in the crook of my neck. “It was fine. How bout you?” I asked, while smiling. “Boring. I missed you” he said, looking at me. “I missed you too”. He smiled at me and leaned in. Before I knew what I was doing, I leaned in also, meeting him halfway. I can feel myself falling for him, and I can’t slow it down. I know he means what he says, and I’m so happy that I’m with him, but I can’t help but feel a little scared, not for what he is, or for what I am. I’m scared that I will fall in love, and he will find someone else, or someone better than me and leave me. 

“Love, are you ok?” He asked. “Can I ask you are question”? I asked, ignoring his question. “Of course”. “Okay… Can you make me a promise”. He sat up and little and looked at me, confused. “Yes, love, of course”. “Do you promise not to hurt me…”? I asked, trailing off. “Claire, I would never hurt you, physically or mentally. Why would you think I would hurt you”? “Well… you know…” I dismiss the image out of my head, not really wanting to talk or think about it. “Claire, I promise, I will never hurt you, especially no like that”. He said, grabbing me a little tighter, I know that topic is touchy with him. “Even if you find someone better than me”? I asked looking at him, I know my eyes are making the puppy dog face, with him, it feels like I can just let my emotions go, I don’t to put on my mask, with him, I can be my true self. He kissed my forehead and smiled, “Claire, there is no one better than you, no one can take me away from you, or make me feel the way I feel when I’m with you”. I smiled and hugged him, I know he's telling the truth. “I love you” I whispered. Sam hugged me tighter and kiss me on the side of the head, “I love you too”.

After a while we got some food and watched a movie. After we watched the movie we went to bed, normally I fall asleep quickly, but tonight I couldn’t, all I can think about is seeing Cassy tomorrow, if I see her, she hadn’t been to school for a week, even though I’m mad at her, I’m still worried that the fight we had might ruin our sister relationship, I hope it doesn’t. I slowly fell asleep thinking of a way to tell Cassy that I’m sorry.