Chapter Eleven: Shopping

I watched Angel pull Jeff and Heather aside and say to them some information in a hushed tone. The pair nodded and Jeff stayed with me, trading out with Lee.

"Where's he going?" I asked Jeff quietly. Jeff tilted his head as he muttered that it was a surprise.

We took to the baby section, buying lots of simple unisex onesies and the like. Jeff stole a whole crib, snapping so that it appeared in my attic. I picked up bottles for milk and little socks, sighing at how small some of the items were. Most of them will get lost for sure.

While I was at it, I picked up a new laundry hamper to hang on the pantry door for all of our stuff that needed washing because you don't have any idea how many socks between Angel and I went missing in the past few months because they weren't in something that would hold them.

"So...transgender..." I started awkwardly when I couldn't handle not knowing what that meant any longer.

"Yeah...that's me..." Jeff smiled nervously.

"What does that mean?"

"It means that I am a man who was born in the wrong body. I was born a girl, raised a girl, and turned out like this." Jeff said, gesturing to his body. It was indeed very curvy, too curvy to be a man's body biologically. "And I'm still wearing the titty death trap."

"I think you look fine." I said, shrugging.

"Oh, well, that's because I had to do a lot of work to make it to here. I looked really feminine when I was alive. If I went without the hormones for a while, I would slowly start looking feminine again and get my menstrual cycle back." Jeff stated, his long, pointed ears drooping to make a point to me.

"Oh, that makes sense. Don't worry, my dear fellow, I don't mind because I actually knew someone who would interchange their gender when I was alive. Every day it was something else. I believe that is what you call gender fluid." I assured him with a small smile on my face.

"Oh really? Who were they, Alastor?" Jeff asked eagerly.

"Their name was Nana Harashiko and they were a good friend of mine who helped me with the radio broadcasts. Every day, they'd show up, wearing obnoxious clothes that didn't seem to have a gender role. They were so open to me being gay and encouraged me to show it more, even though I was super repressed by all of my family except my parents." I praised my dead friend happily.

"They sound amazing." Jeff laughed as he threw some little navy blue shoes into the cart.

"They were amazing." I hummed in agreement as we continued.

"I should remember them because I used to watch you a lot of the time, but sadly, I do not." Jeff shrugged a little.

"Well. That's fair, I didn't mention them very much and you didn't like to follow me to work." I pointed out. Jeff nodded after a second, shrugged, and said that was fair enough.

"Oh, look at this onesie, isn't it precious?" Harlow asked, holding up a onesie that said: "my mama needs coffee" on it in typewriter font.

I snatched it, throwing it into the cart without a second thought.

"I need coffee, so it's not wrong. And I am technically the mother between my lovable idiot wherever the hell he went and I." I stated after Lily, Harlow, and Jeff stared at me nervously for a minute after I snatched it.

"Lovable idiot sounds like something Lee would probably call Jeff before they broke up." Lily commented quietly.

"Yeah, it kinda does..." Harlow said, watching Jeff cautiously.

Jeff maintained a smile throughout the whole exchange, hardly letting anger spark in his aura and body language. "We're still friends, that's all that matters." He said simply. I let my constant smile widen slightly at that to show my appreciation for that statement.

We continued through the aisles, picking and choosing stuff as we went. This was obviously one of the better-maintained stores by how well it was stocked with stuff that wasn't damaged at all, but still I decided to make all of my baby's blankets and stuffed animals by hand with my friend, Rosie, who was a wonderful seamstress.

We ended up back in the truck, listening to "music" that Lily picked out. Some of it I didn't mind, but other times, I felt like my ears were bleeding. I asked Lily what the songs I liked were called and wrote them down to see if I could get Angel to put it all in a mix with my older music.

Angel, Lee, and Heather came back to the truck with bags of stuff, looking smug. I stared at them as they loaded it all in the trunk and got in.

"What?" Angel asked defensively.

"What did you get, motherfucker?" I asked, squinting at him.

"It's stuff for the baby shower. Walmart is dead useful. Can you handle a wait, shorty?" Angel replied, kissing me on the cheek.

"I have the capacity to wait, so yes." I said as Jeff started the car up. We were dropped off at the hotel and we moved our baby's clothes upstairs so it was out of the way and marched downstairs for dinner, which I ate happily because I was more tolerant to the food I liked now that I was seven and a half months pregnant.

Angel and I got into bed that night, hardly wearing anything because skin-on-fur contact is our favorite way to cuddle in bed, where nobody is going to see us. Angel babbled into my stomach a little bit before starting to sing La Vie En Rose to me from his spot by my stomach.

You have to hand it to him, for a guy that is a prostitute, a porn star, a stripper, and a drag queen, he is one hopeless romantic. I love him so much for that because that means he'll do his best to spoil me and be romantic, but fails a little bit in an extremely adorable way.

I dozed off after a few lines out of the song, falling into a deep and peaceful sleep with Angel moving me slightly so he could wrap his arms around me.